new iguana - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Lizards For Sale/Wanteds > Iguanas

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 12:13 AM   #11
coyote
There is a top 4 list of leafy greens that should be daily staples.
Collards
Alfalfa
turnip greens
dandelion greens and blossoms

Other excellent additions include: arugula, water cress, chicory, cilantro, amaranth, chickweed, goosefoot/pigweed, sour dock, kale, mustard greens, spineless cactus pads.

Dark, leafy greens should make up the bulk of the diet 65%.
Avoid or only rarely offer greens high in Oxalates. They interfere/compete with absorption of calcium in the gut. EX: Spinach, parsley, chard, beet greens.
Edible flowers can be fed everyday.

Vegetables should be another 20% and Fruits the last 15%
Brightly colored vegetables are more readily accepted, like: orange and yellow squashes(butternut, pumpkin etc.), sweet potato, tomatoes, red bell peppers, carrot. Most iguanas also love green beans, green peas and broccoli.

Grate the squashes, sweet potato, carrot and fruits like apples on a grater. It tends to make them more succulent, palatable and easier to digest.

Do not feed grain based products like bread. Grains have the wrong calcium : phosphorus ratio for reptiles.

The green iguana is an obligate herbivore.
Never feed any animal based foods to a green iguana. The protein content is too rich and has been implicated in early kidney failure and death. Ex: meat, pinky mice, insects, dairy products, dog or cat food.

RE: harnesses. Personally I NEVER take my iguana outside unless he is secured on a harness.
Yes, depending on the style of the harness it will press on the spines. I have never had any spines break off. They bend over but pop back up later.

There is no better source of vital UVB than unfiltered sunlight. And spending a little time outside sunbathing is a great tonic after being cooped up inside all winter in colder climates. Iguanas must never be left unsupervised on a harness outside. And, when outside they must be supplied with a shady retreat to escape the heat when they need to.

Old 03-31-2006, 07:54 AM   #12
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydia
a simple thing like Leaning over your iguana is VERY offensive to him.

I was curious about this, please tell me more. I am puzzled about how one would, absent anthropomorphizing, be sure enough to quote this as a fact.
I do not have an iggy but I lean over my dragons and I do not see that it has done them harm.

Old 03-31-2006, 03:23 PM   #13
coyote
I don't know about anyone else's experiences, but in regards to leaning over the iguana, that posture is what predators do just before they gobble you up. I believe that it is a survival reaction and that the reaction can be lessened or extinguished as the iguana ages and gains trust in the behavior of humans that it deals with daily.

That, and I had mine bite me on the nipple once when I had to lean over him to check his overhead lamp. Thank goodness I was wearing loose clothing.

Old 04-01-2006, 12:20 AM   #14
Rydia
like i said this was based off my own experiences and opinions, things i read in books and tried, ect.. i am very open to trying new stuff and i will definitely try leaning over one of my iggys more instead of avoiding this action and see how he reacts compared to the others, it does make sense. i have learned that in iggy language the less dominant would put his nose th the ground, while the other would lean and bob, ect.. Another "leaning" thing, when i get my big male out of the tub and dry him he leans into my hand. Some people say its affectonent. Another "leaning" thing, i find that since they feel safer up high i will always approach them crouched below them, they seem less nervous that way, this may confirm what Coyote was saying. So leaning can depend on the situation or individual in my opinion. Also each of our iggys tells you how they feel differently, for example how they react in fear, our young female will run first thing, our small male will extend his dewlap and try and look tough, our med male will go straight to biting no dewlap out,warning or anythong, and our largest runs to a keeper(hand raised, he knows he can get things out of humans). i think that everyone should be open to eachother instead of competitive, we can learn more and become better keepers that way.
i doubt you need to worry about it with water dragons though, the stereotypical dragon is pretty tame and probably wont care. but then again he might, one of our dragons does and the other doesn't. i think it all depends on the individual, like us they all think differently. Also i find that arboreal lizards and terrestrial lizards speak a diffrent language, easy example, um.. a ground lizard may puff up and lean sideways, while the arboreal will use his dewlap.
something i think is funny, is that none of us are even talking about the posts "bedding" subject anymore. LOL
Anywho what works for one person may not work for another, you'll just have to filter all the advice people give you and try stuff out for yourself.
sorry for spelling sloppy, im in a hurry
oh yeah maybe i have a horrible vocabulary but i've never heard the word "anthropomorphizing", could you please tell me what it means?

Old 04-01-2006, 05:53 PM   #15
coyote
Anthropomorphasizing= attributing HUMAN feelings, thoughts and motivations to an animal's behavior.
Interpreting the reasons for a behavior in an animal to what would be reasons in humans.

Old 04-01-2006, 11:29 PM   #16
Rydia
Hey, thanks, i learned something new today

Old 04-02-2006, 11:14 AM   #17
coyote
You are most welcome.
The term gets bandied about a lot in some circles, not so much in others.
It is a common tendency among the pet owning public. It often happens that a pet owner has first to be disabused of anthropomorphised notions before progress can be made in addressing undesirable behaviors in a pet.

Old 04-03-2006, 07:10 PM   #18
Rydia
You seem very experienced, if you don't mind my asking how long have you been doing Herps? What do you have? Just curiouse, don't mean to pry

Old 04-03-2006, 09:59 PM   #19
coyote
Thanks for asking. And thanks for the vote of confidence.
I bought my first herps while in college--Bio major in the 80's. For the first decade and a half I was only interested in lizards, ie iguanas, water dragons, mountain dragons, anoles, geckos. It wasn't until the advent of pre-killed frozen feeder rodents that I made the change over to snakes. At present I have a 5 year old male green iguana and a 2 year old male savanna monitor and nine snakes--two pythons (blood and carpet) rainbow boa, 4 kingsnakes, a cornsnake and a redtailed green ratsnake.
I was a licensed vet tech when I lived in California. While there I did an internship with a vet that specialized in birds and his partner that specialized in reptiles and fish. I completed the LA Zoo Zookeeper program. In college I lived on campus and was a student swineherd. I was involved in a few equine projects. That, and I continue to research, read and study.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread