Question about Iguana sun bathing and UVB light bulb - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-12-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
Hulkzilla
Question Question about Iguana sun bathing and UVB light bulb

Hi there my name is Lee and i am new here.

I just got my iguana yesterday and i bought a Repti Glo 26W 10.0 UVB ( Exo Terra ) light bulb.
I put my enclose near enough to get fresh sun light in the morning from 07:00 Am until 10:00 Am. Should i take him to a cooler area and turn on the UVB light bulb until evening like 3 PM or later ?

The temperature around the enclosure with the UVB turned on is around 32° Celcius and the height of my UVB is about 50 - 55 CM from the ground.

Any advice or tips will be very appreciated.

Thank you

Old 08-12-2012, 01:15 AM   #2
mialma09
Nothing is better than Natural sunlight and the best way to have the UVB is 12 hours on and 12 hours off. Do you have a temp gun to see what the temp in the cage is during those times? More than likely its perfectly fine for them

Old 08-12-2012, 01:23 AM   #3
Hulkzilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by mialma09 View Post
Nothing is better than Natural sunlight and the best way to have the UVB is 12 hours on and 12 hours off. Do you have a temp gun to see what the temp in the cage is during those times? More than likely its perfectly fine for them
I have a regular thermometer tied up outside of the enclosure.

How to control humidity level ? I read http://www.greenigsociety.org/ and other online sources but i still not quite understand.

Can i use a regular humidifier for human and put it next to my igy enclosure ?

Thanks for the info earlier and hoping to get more useful info

Old 08-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
mialma09
To get higher humidty level in an enclosure create less air flow or use thin tight screen and mist the cage routinely. But iguanas dont need too much humidity usually around 60% is ok and light misting will be fine

Old 08-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
Hulkzilla
Quote:
To get higher humidty level in an enclosure create less air flow or use thin tight screen and mist the cage routinely. But iguanas dont need too much humidity usually around 60% is ok and light misting will be fine
ok2 i get it .
My iguana still scared when my hand is inside the cage and trying to feed him.
Any idea how to make my igy like me ?

Please give me some advices. This is my first time raising an iguana >_<

Old 08-13-2012, 02:13 AM   #6
mialma09
Alrighty then well i am not and iguana master by any means but i hava owned 4 of em. First oh which i am assuming u have recently acquired him/her so they tend to be aggressive after moving around and being all stressed out trying to acclimate to a new enviorment. Another is to make sure they have enough room to move around in AKA a suitible sized cage. The best way i got any of my iguana's to tame down is don't open the door or screen quickly and let it get used to u by brining ur hand in slowly. probally is gonna be really fiesty because iguanas are known for being very cage aggressive at first especially males. So I would handle mine for a little over an hour a day and feed them fruits and veggies from my hand to get used to it. also routine baths for it work well as they tend to be very forgiving in them. and its a good time for them to hydrate and absorb water and soak their skin. but mainly just constant attention for a little while at first and feed him from ur hands in and out of his cage ocassionaly will work well. and make sure when u mist him dont do it just directly on them cause i always noticed with mine they get a little scared or startled so mist above to let the droplets fall onto them. because if they already dont trust u then spraying water at them and freaking em out wont make them like u much faster. fruits should be offered sparringly as tht should be considered a treat and can lead them from eating their greens as much. big water bowl like a cat litter box always worked for me but they like to soak and defficate into it so change out routinely. and they are strictly herbavores so a nice big bowl of veggies a day is required dusted with I always reccomend repashy calcium plus or sticky farms indoor miner-all powder. A mix of dark leafy green like kale, spinnach, green leaf lettuce, also diced carrots, peas, maybe a little avocado mixed in as well. sometimes i mush it all up with avacoda as well and mine loved it. But yeah that is generally how i would tame and feed mine if u have any other questions im glad to answere them for ya.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:14 AM   #7
mialma09
also is it just a regular green iguana or some other species i forgot to ask?

Old 08-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #8
Hulkzilla
I will probably wait until a few weeks then i try hand feeding him again. My igy is a regular green iguana. His name is Max

Thanks for all the info but i thought most of the website recommend to not feed spinach because it can drain our iguana calcium ?

Old 08-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
mialma09
Its not that it drains the iguana of calcium but exccess of a certain nutrient can build up in their kidneys but that would take a lot of spinach. I didnt mean to put spinach down as like a daily thing once or so a month because it can boost calcium in very small amounts. but my iguanas always did fine and i mushed it up in the mixture i said earlier prolly 2x's a month. But yeah sorry to mix that info up.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #10
Hulkzilla
Quote:
Its not that it drains the iguana of calcium but exccess of a certain nutrient can build up in their kidneys but that would take a lot of spinach. I didnt mean to put spinach down as like a daily thing once or so a month because it can boost calcium in very small amounts. but my iguanas always did fine and i mushed it up in the mixture i said earlier prolly 2x's a month. But yeah sorry to mix that info up.
no problem , it's part of our discussion .
I am going to wait until my iguana is not afraid of me >_<. maybe 2 or 3 weeks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!