Red Phase Iguanas - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-20-2005, 01:30 AM   #1
Scales N Things
Red Phase Iguanas

Hi all! We just got a pair of beautiful Red Phase Iguanas that came from Fluker Farms, but were purchaced from another vendor. While we do know that it is the exact same species as a Green Iguana, and we have been keeping Igg's for over 8 years, we don't know much about the genetics behind the red phases. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated! We are currently trying to contact Fluker Farms for more information as well.. meanwhile, enjoy the pics!

Malory:

Micky:

Laine and John | www.scalesnthings.com

Old 08-20-2005, 05:08 PM   #2
Junkyard
Very cool, I was actually looking at one at the pet store today, I was thinking it was sick, but I was wrong, thanks for the pics, they look so awesome I may have to go back and buy it.

Old 08-20-2005, 08:05 PM   #3
Xxviloncelloxx
I really know nothing about iguana genetics, but i have a feeling that the reddish iguanas are a different locality.

John

Old 08-20-2005, 09:15 PM   #4
Scales N Things
We're hearing a lot about that.. though when people mention it, they seem to always add on that for that reason they wouldn't pay any more for it than a regular colored Igg, and that they're always not sure.. I dunno, all I do know is that they breed true and keep their coloration.. and that we got a screaming deal on them.. normaly they run for 200-300$... what pet store did you see them at by chance..?

Laine

Old 08-22-2005, 12:50 AM   #5
J.Henderson
Okay here is what I know. These iguanas are not locale specific and this is indeed genetic. Nobody is saying how the gene works in these iguanas so it will be a few years before we can find out. Untill recently there were only a few of these in america. I was given one last year to give away as a prize in a reptile photo contest. Thats how I know a little about them. At the time I gave this one away there was supposed to be one other single specimen outside of the breeders possession that came from their line. A few years back I was told these were bieng sold for $900 - $1000 each.

Im sorry I cant be of more help.

Old 08-22-2005, 01:05 AM   #6
Scales N Things
Thank you for your reply! On breeder's sites (the few that have them) they always mention that it's genetic, but don't say exactly how... I would try to test it out to determine whether or not it's resessive, co-dom or dom to wild type, but with all the unwanted green iggs out there, I'd rather not run a risk of making more.. on top of that, if they do come out green from a red X green then I wouldn't even be able to say for sure if the babies were het or not... the prospect of selling reds and not being able to explain them fully to any potential buyers really gets under my skin... as a cornsnake breeder, you really have to know the genetics and be able to understand them before ethically selling any offspring.. (unless you just sell then by Phenotype only)... I'll be getting in touch with Fluker Farms to try and find out more information..

Laine and John

Old 08-22-2005, 01:37 AM   #7
J.Henderson
Good luck with that.

Old 09-29-2005, 07:09 PM   #8
Reptileking636
Those are awesome! I saw a few of them at a PetCo, all over 12 in. and all kept in like a 20 gallon but we won't get into that discussion. Anyways they were only like 150 and looked exactly like that

Old 10-09-2005, 09:35 AM   #9
bud mierkey
red iggs

My fav red iggys I had a adult male that was tame as a baby and would come and go at will through a cat door .
they rock

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!