Flagyl and Flagellated Protozoa - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:50 PM   #1
filez41
Flagyl and Flagellated Protozoa

Hey Everyone, I have a male 250 gram spider ball python, and I took his fecal sample to the vet, and he has a high count of flagellated protozoa. She gave us flagyl, and told us to give him .3 CC's every two days orally.
My question is, we left the poop sample in a baggy overnight, could the protozoa have multiplied externally in the poop causing the count to be high? I just don't want to be giving him medicine unnecessarily. Also, can it hurt him if we give it to him and his count isn't as high?
One last question, is constipation a sign of increased protozoa?
Thanks!

Old 08-15-2007, 03:53 PM   #2
Greg Riso
Hi Thomas. I'm not sure about the sample sitting overnight but treating your animal with flagyl shouldn't hurt. Some breeders routinely do this once a year without even testing so I wouldn't worry about it harming anything. A high amount of flagyllates can definitely cause constipation. The body will feel " squishy" and bloated because the intestines get swollen and irritated from the infestation. If your vet feels a treatment is called for I'd go ahead and do it. A follow up visit for another treatment is usually done but your vet will instruct you with the details. If your animal's appetite has deminished that's another typical sign of a problem that should be dealt with.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:45 PM   #3
filez41
Thanks for the information! is flagyl sold over the counter? If it's not harmful I would like to treat more of my guys, I think more of them might have an excess of the parasites and the vet around here is horrible. How would I figure out the dosage?
Thanks again,
-Tom

Old 08-16-2007, 06:18 PM   #4
filez41
One last question, I can't get him to open his mouth. I was under the impression that if I put something up to his mouth while holding him behind the head ball pythons open their mouths. Anyone?

Old 08-23-2007, 08:16 PM   #5
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Just wondering how your snake was doing on the flagyl so far?
Hm, I have no experience in medicating snakes, though we have a ball python, luckily, he has not needed meds!
I think you will probably have to get an apparatus to prop his mouth open I believe. There are also plastic tubes to put them in also so they can't move around so badly. Sorry I can't remember what it is called.
Go to www.beanfarm.com to find it. They also have flagyl on their site as well.
Let me know I can help you dose your snakes if you would like some help. I will just need their weights.

Tracie

Old 08-24-2007, 09:58 AM   #6
Greg Riso
To get the mouth open, I've always used a business card. Just start at the front of the mouth and gently push back. The snake will open it's mouth and try to move it's head side to side. Once you have the mouth open place the syringe tip or tube there and back the card out. A credit card could also be used but a paper business card is safer because it's less rigid and more flexible.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #7
albinoboastore
I know this is an old thread but I will find out today if one of my boas has this same problem (flagellated protozoa) his symptoms sound the same. I am wondering how your spider ball turned out?

Old 07-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #8
filez41
He's fine, grew up healthy, no further health problems. Now he's an avid breeder. Nothing to worry about!

Old 07-23-2009, 10:28 PM   #9
mrwenninger
flagellated protozoa

Some flagellated protozoa are normal in the digestive tract of reptiles along with other inhabitants such as aerobic and anaerobic bacteria. Flagyl (Metronidazole) is an antibiotic (for anaerobes) and an antiprotozoal drug. It should not hurt your snakes but should be used with veterinary supervision as it is a drug and can have side-effects.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!