hypoaspis miles or predatory mites - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:23 AM   #1
Keith N
hypoaspis miles or predatory mites

I am starting this because of the recent mite infestation that has entered one of my terrariums. I have researched them and think they may be the answer then tearing the whole tank apart. The following animals are in the terrarium:
1.2 Red Eye Tree Frogs
1.1 Common House Gecko
1.1 Khuli Gecko which is the ones that brought them in.
There are a few bromelaid plants, air plants and water bamboo.

I will take pics so everyone can see for reference. The purpose of this is for everyone that has this problem can at least see and use this information.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:26 AM   #2
Keith N
I have purchased a 1/2 Liter which is the smallest they sell Biconet the total with shipping came to $40.98. There was also a question as to the food mites that are shipped with them. Here is the following letter that I stumbled on from someone that had the same concern and wrote the company to clarify.

The "food mite" included with the Hypoaspis is Tyrophagus putrescentiae, a common food mite. This mite is commonly found on cheeses, grains and other household foods. Tyrophagus is not a pest in reptile or invertebrate habitats.

The Hypoaspis will eat Tyrophagus or any other mite it can catch, so if you inadvertently introduce Tyrophagus to your cages along with the Hypoaspis, the Hypoaspis will likely consume the Tyrophagus to extinction while also consuming the Ophionyssus (snake mite).

There are only enough Tyrophagus in the Hypoaspis container to keep the Hypoaspis fed for 3-6 days. After a week in the container, the Hypoaspis will start to eat each other. Therefore, the Hypoaspis population in the container is increasing for the first few days after delivery, maybe a week. Thereafter, the population in the jar will decline. It is best to use the full container within two weeks.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to write or call.

All the best,

Eric W. Acosta - Director
Biocontrol Network
Bio-rational Alternatives for an Ever Shrinking Planet

Old 12-20-2009, 11:32 PM   #3
Helenthereef
This is fascinating, please do post any photos and observations of how it goes.
As with any use of biological agents I would think that containment could be an issue, and that careful handling will be needed to make sure that you don't end up with a Hypoaspis or Tyrophagus infestation (even if only in your cheese larder!).

Old 12-20-2009, 11:38 PM   #4
Twizted Paths
I've bookmarked this for updates too. Plus I'd like to see your vivs

Old 12-21-2009, 05:49 AM   #5
Keith N
I just figured any good info I can do will help. The fact that I cannot really tear down the whole tank is the other reason I decided to do it this way. I have pics of the terrarium coming soon and will photograph every step and document every observation so others can reference this trial as maybe a helpful decesion in their problems. Thanks Keith

Old 12-21-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
Keith N
The order was processed today and should be here by Wed. so I should have a lot of info and pics soon.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
ddodge
This is the first time I've heard of this method of treating mites and can't wait to see how it works out. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #8
Keith N
I figure I would try it. If it fails to work then I will take all the animals out and CO2 blast the tank and hand pick them off of them for a few weeks. We will see how it works over the Holiday break. Seems like a perfect time to try it.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:36 PM   #9
Keith N
Terrarium pic

Here is one of my older pics of the infected terrarium. I have one more coming. The tank is a 45G Tall. I finished assembling the background probably about two months ago. The Red Eye Tree frogs are het albino's that I purchased through out the year and was the main reason I assembled the tank. The Khuli's Gecko was just for looks which I am finding out was a little bit of a mistake but oh well they are really nice specimens.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:44 PM   #10
Helenthereef
It's a complex environment. I can see why you don't want to dissemble it. Good luck and hope you have a nice Christmas staring at mites :-)!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!