Cornsnakes that will only eat chicken? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #11
reptilebaby
I wonder if it's not just stress maybe, that's making those 2 not eat, or what it could be because as soon as I put a piece of chicken in each cage they both swallowed it. And now they just are not wanting to eat mice.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:11 PM   #12
reptilebaby
Yeah, thought it would be easier if everybody ate the same thing. I only let them miss one week's feeding when they didn't eat.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #13
AbsoluteApril
if they are already yearlngs or older a few weeks of no food isn't gonna hurt them. They may just be spoiled on the chicken right now

Old 08-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #14
Helenthereef
Happy to help. Have you tried baby rats? (What we call pinkies) these are smaller than mice but smell different and sometimes snakes that don't want mice will take pinkie rats, or baby rats the same size as the mice they were taking.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:44 PM   #15
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
if they are already yearlngs or older a few weeks of no food isn't gonna hurt them. They may just be spoiled on the chicken right now
True - like the cats that "only eat fresh chopped turkey liver" - how did they get the taste? If you offer them steak they ain't going to want to go back to Spam!

Old 08-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #16
reptilebaby
I don't have any rat pinks but I'm planning on ordering some soon, to try and get my other snakes (balls) on them, so I'll get a couple sizes and maybe they'll eat them.
It was my fault those 2 even got the taste for chicken.
My son's rats are pregnant right now-I hate to use live though.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:52 PM   #17
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilebaby View Post
My son's rats are pregnant right now-I hate to use live though.
Well, you know, there is always a huge debate about how to most humanely kill prey animals, and actually having the snake do it is probably one of the best ways - it's certain, fast and I think relatively painless.

I mean, who knows how baby rats and mice are killed for the packs of frozen ones you buy?

Old 08-29-2011, 09:58 PM   #18
reptilebaby
I know, and I prefer not knowing. I had pet mice for years!

Old 08-31-2011, 08:56 PM   #19
reptilebaby
I rubbed a pice of fried chicken skin on 2 f/t mice and then fed them, and they ate!
I tried it with a ball to eat a f/t mouse and worked so I tried it with the corns.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:02 PM   #20
AbsoluteApril
awesome!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!