If anyone needs help with dog behavior... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors   Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds  Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 
 
  Do you want to be able to bump and highlight your classified ads? Click here!

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2006, 10:11 AM   #1
Art Klass
If anyone needs help with dog behavior...

While I was in the Navy I was a Military Working Dog Handler. After the Navy I went to a school and became a certified Master Dog Trainer. I have owned a training center where I did many different things. If anyone ever has a problem or question regarding behavior or training I'd be happy to help. Just post a thread or shoot me an email. Regards, Art
 
Old 03-24-2006, 10:24 AM   #2
Lucille
I will gratefully take advantage of your generous offer as I have several dogs and may be adopting another. In about 6 weeks when I have more time during the summer I will be working on sit stay and down stay, I think those 2 commands can do a lot to ensure a happy and safe dog/human household.
 
Old 03-24-2006, 10:51 AM   #3
Art Klass
Quote:
I think those 2 commands can do a lot to ensure a happy and safe dog/human household.
Lucille, you are very right about that. Obedience will also improve your relationship with your dog. It sets boundaries and a chain of command if you will. It can be a lot of fun as well.
 
Old 03-24-2006, 02:46 PM   #4
PaulSage
Art, that's awesome. Thanks for offering your assistance. I already have a question for you...

My almost-six-year-old golden retriever used to jump on me when I came home. I trained her not to do that, and she's been really good about it for years. There's just one hitch... I trained her not to jump on ME. I can't get her to apply that little lesson to other people that come over. I try to get company to do what I did to train her to stay down, but it's really hard convincing some people that it's okay to correct/discipline her when she's being naughty.

Do you have any suggestions for how I can keep her off the guests?

The worst part about it is that she's just the right height so that when she jumps on people, she usually ends up punching them in the groin. Although that might be beneficial in some instances, I can't control who/when she attacks.
 
Old 03-24-2006, 04:09 PM   #5
Art Klass
Jumping up on others

Quote:
My almost-six-year-old golden retriever used to jump on me when I came home. I trained her not to do that, and she's been really good about it for years. There's just one hitch... I trained her not to jump on ME. I can't get her to apply that little lesson to other people that come over. I try to get company to do what I did to train her to stay down, but it's really hard convincing some people that it's okay to correct/discipline her when she's being naughty.

Do you have any suggestions for how I can keep her off the guests?

The worst part about it is that she's just the right height so that when she jumps on people, she usually ends up punching them in the groin. Although that might be beneficial in some instances, I can't control who/when she attacks.
Paul, we can fix this. Dogs learn through repitition and association. By repeating a process over and over and creating negativity toward the behavior we can train her not to jump up. Now, we have to set her up. Have a friend knock on the door while you have her on a leash. Let the friend in and have the friend encourage her to jump up. When she does jump up you give her a collar correction while saying calmly, "No". The friend invites her up again and when she does, you correct her. You continue this process until she is invited up by the friend and she chooses not to jump up. She gets big praise now for not jumping up! Training session is over. Correct her consistantly for negative behavior and reward positive behavior. In the above scenario the dog was invited to jump up and chose not to. That's huge. Correcting a dog once teaches them not to do it then. Correcting them until they choose not to do that undesired behavior teaches them not to do it in the future and that's when they are learning.

Have someone come to the door for training like this as often as you can for a while. You'll have this problem licked in no time. Let me know if this works or if we need to change it a bit. Art
 
Old 03-24-2006, 05:36 PM   #6
SIRS
thanks for the offer art, hope you have a suggestion here ,,ok i have two dogs that just turned 1 years old.and i have had them since they were 8 weeks ,i had a doggy dog on my sliding doors so they can just go out when ever they want ,worked great but this winter got alittle cold and i removed it for the winter plus them getting older they now like to go out and bark at every moving thing no matter the time of day or night .but ever since i took the dog off i been trying to train them to let me know when they have to go out it doesn't seem to work to good,what they do is if they need to go out they will walk over to the siding door which is fine but if i don't catch it they will just go inside ,which isn't a good thing any ways of getting them to let me know or to let them know if no out no potty ...also i have noticed my one dog if hes sleeping in any of the bedrooms on the top floor or is in the basement and has to go number two he only does it on the stairs whats up with that any help would be great there great dogs other then that and a few other little things but there still puppies thanks again ...BTW there red nose pitbulls if that matters thanks
 
Old 03-25-2006, 01:42 AM   #7
Art Klass
Quote:
thanks for the offer art, hope you have a suggestion here ,,ok i have two dogs that just turned 1 years old.and i have had them since they were 8 weeks ,i had a doggy dog on my sliding doors so they can just go out when ever they want ,worked great but this winter got alittle cold and i removed it for the winter plus them getting older they now like to go out and bark at every moving thing no matter the time of day or night .but ever since i took the dog off i been trying to train them to let me know when they have to go out it doesn't seem to work to good,what they do is if they need to go out they will walk over to the siding door which is fine but if i don't catch it they will just go inside ,which isn't a good thing any ways of getting them to let me know or to let them know if no out no potty ...also i have noticed my one dog if hes sleeping in any of the bedrooms on the top floor or is in the basement and has to go number two he only does it on the stairs whats up with that any help would be great there great dogs other then that and a few other little things but there still puppies thanks again ...BTW there red nose pitbulls if that matters thanks
:scatter: Jim, I can help you, however it's going to take a little more than a paragraph to fix. I am going to email you my cell phone number. Call me this weekend and i'll get you fixed up. Call me, Art
 
Old 03-25-2006, 12:31 PM   #8
coyote
Whoa Art! You're going to be a real busy guy. And you may have just started the longest thread ever. If you get overwhelmed consider referring some of your consults my way. I have been training dogs for many, many years and am qualified to assist with correcting behavior problems.
 
Old 03-25-2006, 12:42 PM   #9
Art Klass
Quote:
Whoa Art! You're going to be a real busy guy. And you may have just started the longest thread ever. If you get overwhelmed consider referring some of your consults my way. I have been training dogs for many, many years and am qualified to assist with correcting behavior problems.
That-A-Girl! If you get to them first, feel free to jump. This is a friendly forum.

You know, after I posted my initial post I thought, "uh-oh. I might be real busy with this". Don't get me wrong. I don't mind helping at all. If it gets to be a little crazy maybe we could schedule a chat time for dog training and behavior modification. What do you think Paul?
 
Old 03-26-2006, 01:02 AM   #10
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Klass
If it gets to be a little crazy maybe we could schedule a chat time for dog training and behavior modification. What do you think Paul?
I think that sounds like a great idea, Art. We'll have to figure out what day & time would work best for such a thing, and just poll to see how many people would be interested.

BTW, so far so good with working on Jersey's jumping habits. I should have thought of the leash idea earlier. As soon as I put that on her, she pays a LOT more attention to what I (and other people) are telling her because she knows she needs to cooperate if she's going to get to go for a "walk" or a "car ride?!" lol
 

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What does this behavior mean? SPJ General Discussions 4 04-04-2007 08:56 PM
Albino Behavior ZenReptiles Geckos Discussion Forum 12 04-04-2006 12:08 AM
odd behavior Jus10 Geckos Discussion Forum 1 05-24-2005 05:10 PM
Odd boa behavior SPJ Boas Discussion Forum 3 09-06-2004 10:55 PM
General behavior on..... mercedesherp Amphibian Discussion Forum 0 02-22-2003 11:33 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:57 PM.







TESTING!
Fauna Top Sites


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.04787302 seconds with 10 queries
Content copyrighted 2002-2018, FaunaClassifieds, LLC