Trends in the reptile and overall pet industry - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 12-30-2005, 09:29 PM   #1
The BoidSmith
Trends in the reptile and overall pet industry

Reptiles have been a fast growing segment of the pet industry in recent years. In spite of this, current statistics show they are still among the most uncommon pets in US households. Looking at these statistics it’s not surprising that there’s little interest in passing laws that favor keeping reptiles as pets. There are not too many “votes” in favor of keeping reptiles (4 % of the total US households). It’s thus not surprising that certain laws against them are passed (the majority rules). If we want to modify this trend each one of us should probably make a commitment towards bringing new people into the hobby. Maybe it could be a new year’s resolution? It’s clearly not enough to sell and trade animals among us…we are already part of that 4%.

Quote:
Industry Statistics & Trends

PET OWNERSHIP

• 63% of U.S. households own a pet, which equates to 69.1 millions homes
• 45% of U.S. households own more than one pet
• In 1988, the first year the survey was conducted, 56% of U.S. households owned a pet as compared to the 63% of present day

Breakdown of pet ownership in the U.S.
Number of U.S. Households that Own a Pet (millions)
Bird 6.4
Cat 37.7
Dog 43.5
Equine 4.2
Freshwater Fish 13.9
Saltwater Fish .8
Reptile 4.4
Small Animal 5.7

Total Number of Pets Owned in the U.S. (millions)
Bird 16.6
Cat 90.5
Dog 73.9
Freshwater Fish 139.0
Saltwater Fish 9.6
Reptile 11.0
Small Animal 18.2

* Ownership statistics are gathered from APPMA’s 2005/2006 National Pet Owners Survey
SPENDING

Total U.S. Pet Industry Expenditures
Year Billion
2005 $35.9 Est.
2004 $34.4
2003 $32.4
2002 $29.5
2001 $28.5
1998 $23
1996 $21
1994 $17

Estimated 2005 Sales within the U.S. Market
For 2005, it estimated that $35.9 billion will be spent on our pets in the U.S.
Breakdown:
Food $14.5billion
Vet Care $8.6 billion
Supplies/Medicine $8.8 billion
Live animal purchases $1.6 billion
Pet Services: grooming & boarding $2.4 billion

Actual Sales within the U.S. Market in 2004
In 2004, $34.4 billion was spent on our pets in the U.S.
Breakdown:
Food $14.2 billion
Vet Care $8.2 billion
Supplies/Medicine $8.1 billion
Live animal purchases $1.6 billion
Pet Services: grooming & boarding $2.3 billion

Old 12-30-2005, 11:05 PM   #2
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
If we want to modify this trend each one of us should probably make a commitment towards bringing new people into the hobby. Maybe it could be a new year’s resolution? It’s clearly not enough to sell and trade animals among us…we are already part of that 4%.
Good point, Dan. I think that pet stores have the ability to increase reptile keeping--especially for new pet owners. It seems that a lot of people go into a pet store looking for a pet, and are naturally drawn to something fuzzy. In my opinion, a lot of reptiles can make better first pets than small mammals, especially for children. It would be nice if more pet stores spent the time to explain the benefits and advantages of keeping a reptile over the more common hamsters, rabbits, etc. Just my opinion.

Old 12-31-2005, 03:06 AM   #3
Lucille
I agree with your reasoning, Dan. And it would be good for the industry and for the hobby to have more reptile owners.
I am taking on a second job tutoring science in January, I will do my part by showcasing reptiles in a couple of my lesson plans: a good place to begin is to show the young just how interesting reptiles are.

I think we here on this site can help the hobby also, by helping the new who come and ask questions here, and by inviting people to Fauna so that they can see for themselves the many interesting facets of reptile ownership.
Good post!

Old 12-31-2005, 08:58 AM   #4
old guy
lets face it

reptiles are not " mainstream " pets ! The trouble with the keeping of reptiles ( and some other pets ) is that the stats are not conclusive. I mean where is the added stats of people going out catching wild ones. It can't be done so the figure of keeping is in my opinion way off. I read where the number of reptile keepers was at around 4 million in the USA somewhere.

Old 12-31-2005, 10:43 AM   #5
The BoidSmith
Lucille,

That’s a great idea. It’s at a young age when our preferences are established. As a young child my parent’s always encouraged me to have a pet at home. At that point in time they were guinea pigs, rats, etc. It was around 40 years ago when I caught my first snake in the field. What an excitement! I didn’t know where to grab her from (she was twisting all around, musking and trying to bite) but still I didn’t let go. That day changed me forever.

Mike, although the stats may not be conclusive it’s better to have some than none. Remember that these are stating that this 4% of household may probably mean even twice as much the number of people. I haven’t seen stats on those that collect snakes from the wild. One way or the other the number is way below the rest of the other pets. Suffice to say that there seem to be as many households with horses than with pet reptiles!

Regards

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!