2 ball python hybrid questions. - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:09 AM   #11
Morelia4life
I am not one for ball pythons and deff not one for ball hybrids. To me it is pointless and I don't see why people have to cross bp with carpet pythons or retics or anything else. I guess people aren't happy with the crap loads of morphs that they have in the ball python world and they want more. I don't care if people agree with me or not but I think these hybrids are pointless and pretty ugly. Why take a beautiful Green Tree Python and cross it with a dull looking snake? Why take carpets and cross them with a ball python? Why take a nice retic and cross it? This is my opinion. Take it or leave it.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:54 AM   #12
urksHERPS
im w/ u morelia
why would u produce these poor animals?
they can never breed and most cross gene morphs die of complications.... this is wrong if u love ur animals!!! besides selling for profit why does anyone like breeding these???

Old 04-14-2011, 05:03 AM   #13
Morelia4life
You ball python people try to explain this situation for me. What is the purpose of messing up nice looking animals? What is the purpose of breeding two animals that in the wild are never meant to breed? If you want a blood python, just go buy a blood python. Are ball pythons really so boring that you have to cross them with carpets, bloods, retics, and other species just to make them different or cool or what? To me, it is all about money. If people actually cared about the snakes, they would care about reproducing natural types. Morphs are awesome but hybrids..... I just don't get it. This is something that I will never like and I don't care who I upset. Once again, this is my opinion, take it or leave it. I am all for morphs and the wild types but hybrids are pointless, selfish, and just ugly. If two species can't mate in the wild, why should it be done in captivity?

Old 04-14-2011, 05:19 AM   #14
urksHERPS
sry cross hybrid not gene..

WE ARE KEEPERS NOT GODS... JMHO

Old 04-14-2011, 09:02 AM   #15
J_A_G
I will never produce Hybrids but I do think some of them look cool. Its just not somthing I am into or would do. As it goes for balls there is no need to do it cause you can find a ball that has the pattern or color of about any snake out there and if there isnt one you can sure try to reproduce it with the endless morphs out there.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:04 AM   #16
ThomasHicks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morelia4life View Post
You ball python people try to explain this situation for me. What is the purpose of messing up nice looking animals? What is the purpose of breeding two animals that in the wild are never meant to breed? If you want a blood python, just go buy a blood python. Are ball pythons really so boring that you have to cross them with carpets, bloods, retics, and other species just to make them different or cool or what? To me, it is all about money. If people actually cared about the snakes, they would care about reproducing natural types. Morphs are awesome but hybrids..... I just don't get it. This is something that I will never like and I don't care who I upset. Once again, this is my opinion, take it or leave it. I am all for morphs and the wild types but hybrids are pointless, selfish, and just ugly. If two species can't mate in the wild, why should it be done in captivity?
Morphs and hybrids really aren't terribly different in concept. I never understood why all of these morph owners would always come out of the woodwork to complain about new hybrids being created while new morphs are cropping up all over the place.

One could just as easily argue that morphs are also created out of "selfishness" to generate profits, they're pointless, unnatural, ugly and just made "to look cool."

I'd be able to understand if you were opposed to morphs as well as hybrids, but this post is so ridiculous I can't help but chuckle.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:10 AM   #17
ThomasHicks
Quote:
Originally Posted by urksHERPS View Post
they can never breed and most cross gene morphs die of complications....
Huh? Where are you getting your information from? As far as I know, snake hybrids have proven to be completely fertile and capable of producing successful offspring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
F2 Super Ball (Super Ball x Super Ball)

Mongrel Ball (Super Ball x Ball Python)

Old 04-15-2011, 06:37 PM   #18
Morelia4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasHicks View Post
Morphs and hybrids really aren't terribly different in concept. I never understood why all of these morph owners would always come out of the woodwork to complain about new hybrids being created while new morphs are cropping up all over the place.

One could just as easily argue that morphs are also created out of "selfishness" to generate profits, they're pointless, unnatural, ugly and just made "to look cool."

I'd be able to understand if you were opposed to morphs as well as hybrids, but this post is so ridiculous I can't help but chuckle.

You must not understand where I am coming from..... let me break it down for you..... I don't like hybrids because it can't happen in the wild. A Burmese python could never mate with a ball python IN THE WILD. A Green Tree Python could never mate with a ball python IN THE WILD. A Blood could never mate with a ball python IN THE WILD. Also, last time I checked, a few morphs can occur in the wild so there goes that concept. I don't have any objections to breeding a fire ball to a fire to create a lucy. It is just a morph, not a whole different animal such as a burm to a ball. You don't know how hybrids could affect the animals health in the long run.

Also, morphs being "ugly" is your opinion. When it comes to ball pythons, morphs are way cooler than a normal ball, but when it comes to carpet pythons, I still think the wild types are beautiful snakes, I just happen to like morphs as well. As for the profit for morphs, yeah, I think it is selfish to price any snake for $30,000 plus dollars but guess what??? People buy them so oh well. I would never price a snake that much because I didn't get into reptiles for the money, I started keeping snakes when I was 6 and I do it because I love snakes and they are my passion in life. Like I said, last time I checked, some morphs of certain snakes do occur IN THE WILD, but I have never heard of a ball python mating with a burmese python or Green Tree python, or blood python, or a retic IN THE WILD. Huh? Imagine that. I think I can recall a Albino gator being found IN THE WILD. I think I can recall a Leucistic rat snake being found IN THE WILD. Thanks for your opinions though. They also make me chuckle.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #19
ThomasHicks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morelia4life View Post
You must not understand where I am coming from..... let me break it down for you..... I don't like hybrids because it can't happen in the wild. A Burmese python could never mate with a ball python IN THE WILD. A Green Tree Python could never mate with a ball python IN THE WILD. A Blood could never mate with a ball python IN THE WILD. Also, last time I checked, a few morphs can occur in the wild so there goes that concept. I don't have any objections to breeding a fire ball to a fire to create a lucy. It is just a morph, not a whole different animal such as a burm to a ball. You don't know how hybrids could affect the animals health in the long run.

Also, morphs being "ugly" is your opinion. When it comes to ball pythons, morphs are way cooler than a normal ball, but when it comes to carpet pythons, I still think the wild types are beautiful snakes, I just happen to like morphs as well. As for the profit for morphs, yeah, I think it is selfish to price any snake for $30,000 plus dollars but guess what??? People buy them so oh well. I would never price a snake that much because I didn't get into reptiles for the money, I started keeping snakes when I was 6 and I do it because I love snakes and they are my passion in life. Like I said, last time I checked, some morphs of certain snakes do occur IN THE WILD, but I have never heard of a ball python mating with a burmese python or Green Tree python, or blood python, or a retic IN THE WILD. Huh? Imagine that. I think I can recall a Albino gator being found IN THE WILD. I think I can recall a Leucistic rat snake being found IN THE WILD. Thanks for your opinions though. They also make me chuckle.
*Sigh* The "natural" argument is so worn.

You may never see any hybrids "IN THE WILD," but the reality of it is that many are natural and capable of being found "IN THE WILD." While morphs may pop up from time to time "IN THE WILD," they're very rare and they never thrive to become breeding populations. I could give you a dozen instances of hybrid and integrade snakes forming healthy populations "IN THE WILD" that have actually overtaken much of the ranges of the pure animals that they came from. Could you give me just one example of a healthy, natural population of morphs thriving "IN THE WILD?" Naturally, morphs would be picked off and never make it to become a breeding population, not so much with many hybrid snakes. So therefore, if you're regulating yourself based solely on what's occurs "IN THE WILD" you may keep them, but it's unnatural to allow them to grow to adulthood or breed them. Also, as far as I know, I've never heard of double trait morphs being found "IN THE WILD." The chances of that would be next to impossible.

Arguably, hybrids are much more natural than morphs and can actually produce more durable and healthy specimens than morphs [many of which do just the opposite] due to a phenomena known as hybrid vigor.

But none of this really matters anyway, the "natural" argument flies right out the window as soon as you put a snake into a cage. That's not natural, therefore nothing you can do with or to it could ever be any less natural than putting it into a cage to begin with, so anything "unnatural" from there on out is only relative anyway.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #20
Morelia4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasHicks View Post
*Sigh* The "natural" argument is so worn.

You may never see any hybrids "IN THE WILD," but the reality of it is that many are natural and capable of being found "IN THE WILD." While morphs may pop up from time to time "IN THE WILD," they're very rare and they never thrive to become breeding populations. I could give you a dozen instances of hybrid and integrade snakes forming healthy populations "IN THE WILD" that have actually overtaken much of the ranges of the pure animals that they came from. Could you give me just one example of a healthy, natural population of morphs thriving "IN THE WILD?" Naturally, morphs would be picked off and never make it to become a breeding population, not so much with many hybrid snakes. So therefore, if you're regulating yourself based solely on what's occurs "IN THE WILD" you may keep them, but it's unnatural to allow them to grow to adulthood or breed them. Also, as far as I know, I've never heard of double trait morphs being found "IN THE WILD." The chances of that would be next to impossible.

Arguably, hybrids are much more natural than morphs and can actually produce more durable and healthy specimens than morphs [many of which do just the opposite] due to a phenomena known as hybrid vigor.

But none of this really matters anyway, the "natural" argument flies right out the window as soon as you put a snake into a cage. That's not natural, therefore nothing you can do with or to it could ever be any less natural than putting it into a cage to begin with, so anything "unnatural" from there on out is only relative anyway.

Dude.... you still don't get it.... I am talking about crap like a ball python and a garter snake mating in the wild, in which results would create a hybrid in the two species. It isn't going to happen!! A Burmese python mating with a ball python in the wild would create a hybrid species with the resulting offspring, but guess what?? It isn't going to happen in the wild. Do you still not understand what I am saying???? ANY SPECIES THAT CAN NOT BREED IN THE WILD AND CREATE OFFSPRING IN THE WILD, I AM NOT OK WITH. I AM OK WITH MORPHS BECAUSE THEY CAN HAPPEN IN THE WILD. I don't care if they survive or not, the point is that morphs can happen, stupid ball pythons mating with carpet pythons, Green Tree pythons, Burmese pythons, Blood pythons, CAN"T HAPPEN IN THE WILD.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!