2 ball python hybrid questions. - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:44 PM   #21
ThomasHicks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morelia4life View Post
Dude.... you still don't get it.... I am talking about crap like a ball python and a garter snake mating in the wild, in which results would create a hybrid in the two species. It isn't going to happen!! A Burmese python mating with a ball python in the wild would create a hybrid species with the resulting offspring, but guess what?? It isn't going to happen in the wild. Do you still not understand what I am saying???? ANY SPECIES THAT CAN NOT BREED IN THE WILD AND CREATE OFFSPRING IN THE WILD, I AM NOT OK WITH. I AM OK WITH MORPHS BECAUSE THEY CAN HAPPEN IN THE WILD. I don't care if they survive or not, the point is that morphs can happen, stupid ball pythons mating with carpet pythons, Green Tree pythons, Burmese pythons, Blood pythons, CAN"T HAPPEN IN THE WILD.
I completely understand what you're saying but you're just wrong, 100%.

I never said that any snake hybrid in captivity could be naturally occurring. Go back to my post, it answered every logical concern you had with captive hybrids. I can't make you understand it, but I've given you all of the tools necessary to potentially do so... If you still feel this way, why should a double standard be imposed? You admit that morphs may not be able to survive in the wild but you still use the fact that "hybrids can't" as your reasoning. Morphs cannot form successful breeding populations in the wild. Therefore, breeding them in captivity is unnatural. I'm sorry but all of this double standard nonsense is just beginning to look foolish.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #22
Morelia4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasHicks View Post

I never said that any snake hybrid in captivity could be naturally occurring. Go back to my post, it answered every logical concern you had with captive hybrids. I can't make you understand it, but I've given you all of the tools necessary to potentially do so... If you still feel this way, why should a double standard be imposed? You admit that morphs may not be able to survive in the wild but you still use the fact that "hybrids can't" as your reasoning. Morphs cannot form successful breeding populations in the wild. Therefore, breeding them in captivity is unnatural. I'm sorry but all of this double standard nonsense is just beginning to look foolish.

I could be wrong, but I believe that the Australia Black-headed python has a breeding group of Axanthics in the wild and also that they Salmon boa breeds in the wild. So there is two morphs right there that survive and breed in the wild. I will agree that some morphs are unnatural yes, but not all.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #23
ThomasHicks
Quote:
I could be wrong, but I believe that the Australia Black-headed python has a breeding group of Axanthics in the wild and also that they Salmon boa breeds in the wild. So there is two morphs right there that survive and breed in the wild. I will agree that some morphs are unnatural yes, but not all.
Yes, some subtle morphs can successfully exist in the wild. One could argue that many are just naturally occurring color forms rather than actual mutations though. But the really flashy animals won't make it anywhere in the wild for long.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #24
Morelia4life
Quote:

OH, btw, can you provide me with links and pictures of all those hybrids that occur in the wild so I can have a look at them myself? I would love to see some of them. I would love to see some corns x kings or Retics x burms in the wild. Thanks.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #25
Morelia4life
Quote:
Yes, some subtle morphs can successfully exist in the wild. One could argue that many are just naturally occurring color forms rather than actual mutations though. But the really flashy animals won't make it anywhere in the wild for long.

No matter how you try to "word" it, an Axanthic is still and Axanthic and a salmon is still a salmon and they are still found in the wild.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #26
FosterHerpetological
Quote:
No matter how you try to "word" it, an Axanthic is still and Axanthic and a salmon is still a salmon and they are still found in the wild.
You are right. But they are naturally occurring. All base morphs are. Its not like wee man made the base morphs that naturally occurred.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #27
ThomasHicks
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfconstrictors View Post
You are right. But they are naturally occurring. All base morphs are. Its not like wee man made the base morphs that naturally occurred.
Depends on what you consider naturally. If naturally means "popped up in captivity from a normal x normal breeding" then fine. But if you mean naturally as it is apparently being defined in this thread, it'd have to be a "natural found in the wild."

Old 04-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #28
Morelia4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfconstrictors View Post
Exactly my point. Thomas clearly stated that no morphs can survive and reproduce in the wild, but the Axanthic Black-headed pythons and the Salmon boas are two morphs that survive and reproduce in the wild. I know that not every single morph is found in the wild, but like I said.... some are.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #29
ThomasHicks
Quote:
OH, btw, can you provide me with links and pictures of all those hybrids that occur in the wild so I can have a look at them myself? I would love to see some of them. I would love to see some corns x kings or Retics x burms in the wild. Thanks.
That'd be a pretty daunting task as I'm not aware of any resource that plainly describes all known hybrids found in the wild. But I've seen C. atrox x. scutulatus, C. horridus x. C. adamanteus, A. contortrix x. A. piscivorous, P. obsoletus x. P. guattatus, P. obsoletus integrades anywhere two or more ranges meet, same with A. contortrix, etc, etc. I could go on all day. Point is, they happen, they can form very successful breeding populations. I'm not sure where to find all of those sources, but you're free to google at your own will.

Quote:
True, but I'm not sure what qualifies a snake as being a morph. That seems to be a made up term by the hobby itself.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #30
Morelia4life
Quote:
That'd be a pretty daunting task as I'm not aware of any resource that plainly describes all known hybrids found in the wild. But I've seen C. atrox x. scutulatus, C. horridus x. C. adamanteus, A. contortrix x. A. piscivorous, P. obsoletus x. P. guattatus, P. obsoletus integrades anywhere two or more ranges meet, same with A. contortrix, etc, etc. I could go on all day. Point is, they happen, they can form very successful breeding populations. I'm not sure where to find all of those sources, but you're free to google at your own will.

True, but I'm not sure what qualifies a snake as being a morph. That seems to be a made up term by the hobby itself.
You are still missing my point. I am familiar with intergrades when species overlap and breed in the wild. I am sure that happens all the time. Once again, intergrades are a little different than a hybrid. Crotalus species mating with crotalus species would result in a crotalus species. Now, say for instance a Crotalus species mated with a copperhead.. even though they are both pit-vipers and found in the same area, it would be a hybrid because it is two totally different animals. I doubt in the wild a copperhead would ever mate with a rattlesnake. Just like how everyone crossing ball pythons with everything else isn't natural. Just because a ball python and a burmese python are both pythons..... doesn't make it right.

I told you, I am fine with Intergrades that happen in the wild. Intergrades happen... ball pythons mating with retics, carpets, bloods, burms, this and that doesn't happen. People have no right to play God with creatures. Morphs aren't playing God because you are just taking the same species, breeding them and producing new morphs. Fire x fire, Albino x Albino, Mojave x pastel.. they are all just morphs. No... they may not happen in the wild but like I said, some morphs do.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!