Ball Python breeding with a Boa Constrictor - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 03-26-2006, 05:20 PM   #1
Art Klass
Ball Python breeding with a Boa Constrictor

The vast majority of you will passionately disagree with this breeding attempt. My own thoughts and feelings fall into this category. Some of you will take a "no harm - no foul" stance. And a few of you will think it's cool and no big deal. I would like all of you to kindly respect others opinions and not make this into a big nasty.

I am starting this thread because this is an attempt to breed an egg-layer with a snake that is a live-bearer. I personally do not believe that any offspring can be produced because of the differences on a genetic level. This is my opinion and is not backed by any scientific means.

I do not mind comments regarding hybridization, however please keep in mind that the focus should be a discussion on genetic compatibility.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2006, 05:23 PM   #2
Art Klass
By the way. This pic belongs to Ricky Jorgensen of Denmark. He started a thread on Bob Clarks picture forum. I doubt that he will respond to any comments posted in this thread.

Old 03-26-2006, 06:02 PM   #3
Clay Davenport
My opinion is this is nothing more than a seriously horny male trying to mate with anything that is available.
I've read reports of male snakes being found trying to copulate with females who were dead on the road.
I am completely against hybrids, but in this instance I see no harm in the attempt because it is my opinion as well that there is no possibility of offspring being produced. Likewise that is not a scientifically based conclusion and could feasibly be wrong, but I seriously doubt it.
However I would lend more possibility to this pairing considering they are at least distantly related compared to the popular folk lore here that insists that rattlesnakes are breeding with black rat snakes.

Old 03-27-2006, 10:51 AM   #4
scalesnstuff
Interesting

maybe I should try and breed my ball to my Pipa Pipa. First aquatic ball python. I shall call them soggy balls.
This is a really a mixed subjuct for me, the curiosity in me wants to see the end result but not from a boa to a python too me it seems to be a waste of time.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:14 PM   #5
markface
i personally dont think it will work but who knows . i dont have a problem with hybrids myself as long as who ever is breeding is clear about them being hybrids . if on the other hand someone breeds hybrids and tries to sell them as something their not then that is where i see a problem arising .

Old 03-28-2006, 07:38 AM   #6
Art Klass
Quote:
This is a really a mixed subjuct for me, the curiosity in me wants to see the end result but not from a boa to a python too me it seems to be a waste of time.
Curiosity is human nature. I think that most anyone would wonder what siblings would look like.

Quote:
i dont have a problem with hybrids myself as long as who ever is breeding is clear about them being hybrids . if on the other hand someone breeds hybrids and tries to sell them as something their not then that is where i see a problem arising .
That's a very large concern with hybrids. Somebody selling one thing when it is actually something else. Even if the breeder is forthright in the sale of a hybrid, the question of what the next guy does is a concern. This is a good way to taint a species purity.

It still remains that these two, in all probability, can not produce offspring.

Old 03-28-2006, 10:00 AM   #7
scalesnstuff
Misrepresenting

That is exactly right. If someone buys say a jungle corn and is told that it is a hybrid then everything is fine. If the person decides to sell it and never mentions that it is a hybrid then there is a problem, both on a buisiness and legal level. For instance, at a show a couple of years back I found a really cool king snake, turned out it was a jungle corn, illegal in my state. Although that is a weak example still can get someone in serious trouble. Or a milksnake we purchased for school that is a honduran x ???. I am the 4th owner of the snake and have no clue exactly what it is. Although i don't have a problem with hybridization there should be some restraint. Mixing common species (ie corn x king, ball x blood etc.) to me is not a problem, but some people are mixing Hogg Island Boas to Common Boas. My understanding is that the Hogg Island population is so diminished in the wild that they are now protected by CITES. Mixing the two does not help out with the problem.

The minority of us that keep reptiles and breed them is probably a saving grace for the wild populations. An example is the Tuatara from New Zealand. Becuase of licensed breeders they are being bred in captivity to be released back into the wild for our kids to be able to admire in the future. But would you try to breed it with an iguana? If for some reason corn snakes where to start to disapear from the wild we have it covered, but if we diminish the cb population then there lies the problem. Then you have to factor in the possibility of escapes or owners simply letting the animals go. We have seen what a non indigenous animal can do to a wild population, look at Australia or the Everglades. At this time we do not have to worry about a Borneo Bat Eater in a neighborhood. Too expensive. But so was Albino Burms at one time.

Snakes have a bad enough of a reputation as is and irresponsinle owners do not help. You never hear about a snake that did something good, but the minute one kills someone it is splashed all over the news, now we are playing with hybrids and really have no idea of what lies ahead. There are at least 10 new hybrids a year lately and some can reproduce.

Like I said I do not have a problem with the hybrids, but I think they should be treated different from a pure species because of what they are. 10 years from now who knows what will be out there. But we need to make sure that these hybrids stay in a captive state and not running around in the wild.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:13 AM   #8
Jake The Snake
I completely disagree with hybrids all togther. I mean unless they can occur naturally. I think that a hybrid that would never be able to happen naturally is inhumane. So many people attempting to play god. Its just not right to mess with 2 perfectly healthy snakes that have adapted over many thousands of years to overcome anything where they live and make their offspring do the same thing over and over. I just think pure bllodlines are the way to go. Strong, healthy animals that are naturally beautyful.

Jake

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!