Genetics of Poor Temperaments - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 04-19-2006, 06:47 PM   #11
Skunky
Interesting, but how then do you explain two siblings with total opposite personalities. Same genes, same environment..totally different personalities.

Old 04-19-2006, 06:49 PM   #12
Skunky
Sorry, dont know what happened there..posted twice.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:43 PM   #13
dragonflyreptiles
As I said The only way 2 siblings could be gentically the same is identical twins, same genes, but not always the same environment:

Example
Twin 1 healthy, never sick, always sleeps all night

Twin 2 healthy but gets ear infections or colic, never sleeps at night

Those 2 twins will have different personalities, because one was possibly held more (because of no sleep, illness, not enough hands when one is happy and alseep and the other is screaming), one has to go to the DR more, one doesn't develop good sleep habits for future life.

The environment is the same but the way each twin developed may be different.

It would really take a book to explain all of the possibilities.

With snakes you may have a poor eater that is held more, pampered more than a great feeder. It applies to all levels of life. Same genes doesn't mean the same outcome.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:31 PM   #14
Skunky
So is it possible then that someone can claim to have a genetic line of snakes that are puppy tame in spite of their "natural dispositions" seen in the majority of individuals?

Old 04-19-2006, 08:37 PM   #15
Art Klass
Quote:
So is it possible then that someone can claim to have a genetic line of snakes that are puppy tame in spite of their "natural dispositions" seen in the majority of individuals?
Yes. If someone took the time to find well manered individuals of an otherwise nasty species and bred them together then the resulting offspring will more than likely be well manered.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:43 PM   #16
norsmis
I have seen a nastiness in blood red corns also. I can't speak for them all but a lot of people I have spoken to have said their blood reds are nasty too.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:48 PM   #17
Art Klass
Quote:
I have seen a nastiness in blood red corns also. I can't speak for them all but a lot of people I have spoken to have said their blood reds are nasty too.
Have you ever bred any of these guys? Nasty or not?

Old 04-19-2006, 09:27 PM   #18
norsmis
Sorry Art I have never bred them. I can tell you that I had 2.2 and they were ALL nasty little buggers. They acted more like Asian rats than Corns. I handled these guys everyday just like the rest of my corns and they never settled down in the year I had them. I have been told by others that this seems to be something passed on with blood red trait.....

Old 04-19-2006, 09:32 PM   #19
dragonflyreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky
I would say yes, but that is just my personal thought on genetics and the outcome of a ton of other factors.

There was not too long ago an article in Reptiles Magazine about GTp or ETb, can't remember and donated it to my sons school, that gave a vast base of knowledge of how to prevent bites from a well known biting type of snake. Only reason I read it is because I would love to one day own a GTP but without the bite issues.

But ponder this, shipping is stress, can stress take a toll on disposition, would you be happy if shipped? Some may get over it faster than others.

I have had quite a few reptiles purchased at a more than low price because they were just pain mean and I never had a problem with them. So maybe shipping scared them "straight".

Old 04-19-2006, 11:22 PM   #20
Fangthane
"I have had quite a few reptiles purchased at a more than low price because they were just pain mean " Would it be unreasonable for someone that produces unusually docile offspring of a species that's generally aggressive to charge a premium for them based solely on their "nice" genes? Not sure where I'm going with this..guess I'm just curious about the potential affect on the business end of things.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!