African Fat Tailed X Leopard Geckos - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:30 PM   #1
DeadIrishD
African Fat Tailed X Leopard Geckos

Can these two cross breed?
Does anyone have any pictures?

I myself would love to find this out and make a few hybrids myself not for the money but for the science of it, luckily they are about the same size, same diet and pretty much the same geckos (ie: closely related) and from what I gather the care is almost the same, except for humidity.

I would of course only breed them once, and keep there offspring as they would end up being sold for something they were not, rather than being sold as something they are down the road.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:40 PM   #2
critical bill
I'd have to imagine if it were at all possible we'd already be seeing crosses on the market.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:45 PM   #3
DeadIrishD
It wont hurt to try I guess.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:29 AM   #4
critical bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadIrishD
It wont hurt to try I guess.
I believe Albeys Too Cool Reptiles had or still has subspecies of leopard geckos. If you look at his snow line for the best of 2002 on his webpage you'll see a subspecies snow or two. I would shoot him an email and ask him this question directly and see what he has to say about it.

Perhaps it can be done, and I really didn't mean to imply its impossible as I truly do not know. It just doesn't seem possible to me when I've never seen a cross of what you're describing available or listed anywhere in the 20 or so years I've been a hobbyist. If it can be done..then for some reason no one seems very enthusiastic about posting the results of their success.

A few times when I was a kid my father told me I was a cross between a jackass and a squirrel. I did stupid things and ran like hell all over the place when he tried to catch me to kick my ass.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:46 AM   #5
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by critical bill
I believe Albeys Too Cool Reptiles had or still has subspecies of leopard geckos. If you look at his snow line for the best of 2002 on his webpage you'll see a subspecies snow or two. I would shoot him an email and ask him this question directly and see what he has to say about it.

Perhaps it can be done, and I really didn't mean to imply its impossible as I truly do not know. It just doesn't seem possible to me when I've never seen a cross of what you're describing available or listed anywhere in the 20 or so years I've been a hobbyist. If it can be done..then for some reason no one seems very enthusiastic about posting the results of their success.

A few times when I was a kid my father told me I was a cross between a jackass and a squirrel. I did stupid things and ran like hell all over the place when he tried to catch me to kick my ass.
So then, you're either a jack-el or and you must forgive the slight misspelling to come, and ass-squire.

AHAhahahahahahAHAHAHAHAhahhahHAHAhahahaha ass squire, that's a good one, ahahhahahahahahahahHAHAHAHHAHHAhaha

Old 07-26-2006, 12:52 AM   #6
critical bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilomn
So then, you're either a jack-el or and you must forgive the slight misspelling to come, and ass-squire.

AHAhahahahahahAHAHAHAHAhahhahHAHAhahahaha ass squire, that's a good one, ahahhahahahahahahahHAHAHAHHAHHAhaha
You hurt my feelings just like my father. May I call you Papa?

Old 07-26-2006, 12:59 AM   #7
Wilomn
Quote:
You hurt my feelings just like my father. May I call you Papa?
PapaSir to you sonnyjim.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:43 AM   #8
critical bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilomn
PapaSir to you sonnyjim.
Wow...I cant believe you called me "sonnyjim". How did you now I was listening to tunes from that music artist today? I actually played some tunes of his in your honor during my Wesfest 2005 sit out when you were so wrongfully banned.

Pardon me while I go listen to my other favorite band...Cheapshot...errrrr I mean Cheaptrick.

So I know this makes sense to you, considering we may both have different tastes in music, did you mean sonnyjim in some other way, PapaSir?

Old 07-26-2006, 02:09 PM   #9
DeadIrishD
Quote:

but look at how many assholes are out there as well, who belive that hybrids are produced, are ONLY to make money, and all should be killed, and the breeders should also be treated like crap due to their beliefs.

although noone has yet said that to me on here, so to the forum as a whole thank you for respecting this ? even if you dont agree with it.

lol your dad seems like my whole family... tad bit on the redneck side? LOL

Old 07-26-2006, 03:37 PM   #10
critical bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadIrishD
but look at how many assholes are out there as well, who belive that hybrids are produced, are ONLY to make money, and all should be killed, and the breeders should also be treated like crap due to their beliefs.

although noone has yet said that to me on here, so to the forum as a whole thank you for respecting this ? even if you dont agree with it.
The only reason I could see that you'd catch any flack is that theres a big difference between breeding similar species that may naturally overlap each other in range, that naturally occur in nature, and what your suggesting you'd like to produce.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!