African Fat Tailed X Leopard Geckos - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:07 PM   #11
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadIrishD
Can these two cross breed?
Does anyone have any pictures?

I myself would love to find this out and make a few hybrids myself not for the money but for the science of it, luckily they are about the same size, same diet and pretty much the same geckos (ie: closely related) and from what I gather the care is almost the same, except for humidity.

I would of course only breed them once, and keep there offspring as they would end up being sold for something they were not, rather than being sold as something they are down the road.
On Topic.

It's been rumored that Ron's "Giants" are actually a hybrid with another gecko. I wouldn't be surprised if it were possible if you had a willing pair.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:10 PM   #12
A_Kendergirl
People have tried, but I don't think anyone had been successful.

As far as Ron goes, the rumor is he crossed with a sub-species. There is a similar theory for the Mack snows. That's a far cry from trying to cross with a completely different species, let alone a totally different genus!

PS....

Leopard gecko = Eublepharis macularius
Fat-Tailed gecko = Hemitheconyx caudicinctus

Old 07-27-2006, 12:52 AM   #13
DeadIrishD
look at kings, milks, and corns all three can breed together.

They can breed together, but the eggs are never fertile, but isnt this the same thing that was thought about pythons as well?

Old 07-27-2006, 01:10 AM   #14
Wilomn
Quote:

They can breed together, but the eggs are never fertile, but isnt this the same thing that was thought about pythons as well?
Wherever it is you have gotten this information from is not a place I would recommend you go back to if you're looking for accuracy.

There have been many many many kings and corns and milks interbred and thier offspring have also been fertile.

Old 07-27-2006, 06:16 AM   #15
TripleMoonsExotic
If Wes hadn't of pointed it out, I would have.

Corn x King = Jungle (and Jungles do produce viable offspring)

Pantherophis guttata (cornsnake)
[or Elaphe Guttata for those who don't know about the change]
X
Lampropeltis getula (kingsnake)

Old 07-27-2006, 08:13 AM   #16
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by critical bill
The only reason I could see that you'd catch any flack is that theres a big difference between breeding similar species that may naturally overlap each other in range, that naturally occur in nature, and what your suggesting you'd like to produce.

i agree. I personally like the breeding of GTP's X Carpet's and the product, "Carpondros"( reminds me of those "Puggles" and "Labradoodles"). While one other that, Visually is stunning, The "Super Ball".. BloodxBall Python, i dont entirely agree with it, its just not natural but i will freely admit its one cool looking hybrid.

Though like the others said as well, if you havent seen it by now it probably, cant be done. Never say never though right?

the one problem i have with people producing hybrids is they price them WAY too high. a Ball Python Normal Male is what. 50 bucks at most normally? and a Blood, maybe 100 or so? so why on EARTH would you charge more than, maybe 200 bucks for this animal?! I mean, i guess its because they dont want people breeding them and such ( i dont know if theyre even fertile) but still, i just think its a little crazy to be pricing these animals so high. just my .2.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:32 PM   #17
aliceinwl
Genera and species divisions are to a certain degree arbitrary, humans have a need to classify things. There are no set standards of how unrelated animals have to be before they merit their own species or genus. Comparing the situation with kings and corns to leos and fattails may not be analogous. Kings and corns co-exist on the same continent, they may have diverged from a common ancestor more recently. Leos and fattails exist on different continents they may have diverged from a common ancestor a lot earlier. This would give them more time to evolve and differentiate and accumulate changes that would bar reproduction between the two species. I've heard of numerous breedings between leos and fattails, but never a fertile egg. In addition to genetic incompatibilities, there may also be physiological factors that would prevent fertilization. One can experiment as was suggested, but with the numerous past attempts and the fact that these guys will readily copulate, if it were possible, I think we'd have seen it by now.

-Alice

Old 07-28-2006, 10:14 PM   #18
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
i agree. I personally like the breeding of GTP's X Carpet's and the product, "Carpondros"( reminds me of those "Puggles" and "Labradoodles"). While one other that, Visually is stunning, The "Super Ball".. BloodxBall Python, i dont entirely agree with it, its just not natural but i will freely admit its one cool looking hybrid.
I'm curious what is natural about the "Carpondro" ??? You say you are for it, but not the Super Ball. I see them both as abominations personally. Not to start an argument, but anything other than a natural intergrade was just not meant to naturally be.

This would include the Fat Tail x Leopard cross IMHO. I can see where ones scientific curiousity would lead one to try something once for educational documentation, but to put on the market IMO is not really that cool of a thing to do. (Not directed at the author)

Just My $0.025
Rick

Old 01-05-2007, 10:35 PM   #19
RosterImposter
Quote:

They can breed, and Corn snakes can breed with alot more than those few species. I often regard corn snakes as a blank snake because they can breed with so many snakes and produce viable offspring.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #20
Caskdam
It is possible to breed the two, but the eggs will either not develop or will not be healthy hatchlings. The humidity difference is the main problem with the offspring of a Leopard x Fat Tail. I have attempted to breed a normal and normal and the eggs were fertile at first but did not fully develop. A friend of mine had about the same thing happen with her attempt, also.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!