how to feed - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-22-2003, 08:31 PM   #1
Lukkie Seven
how to feed

Hi all....sort a newbie to snakes, loved them for a long time, and have been doing my research for along time, and in a couple of weeks I have a young BCI on the way. She's been feeding on fresh killed, but ate frozen/thawed today no problem as per my request, to see if she would. Just curious as to the best way to go about feeding? Where should the snake be? What should be used to give the snake the food, etc? I haven't been able to find a really good description about a good way to go about feeding!
Thanks!
-Jill

Old 11-23-2003, 01:32 PM   #2
robin d.
you may hear a couple different ways

some people remove the snake from the enclosure put it in a smaller container and feed inside that container. the reason some people do this is they believe the animal wont asscociate opening the cage, as a sign of feeding.

others feed inside the cage, this is personally what i do. however i use hemostats or long tweezers to offer food. i also dont like moving an animal after it has eaten, makes for a greater chance of possible regurgitation especially in neonate bcc and in other young hatchling or neinate animals

i personally dont think the snakes associated opening the cage with feeding, i think it associates something warm (your hand or a warm rat) and also the fact that when defrosting the mouse or rat your snake has the ability to smell the prey in the other room, triggering a feeding reponse ie a possible bite.
whatever you chose make sure to use hemostats or tweezers, to feed and avoid a bite and my hopes are that it recognizes a warm rat on steele as food, so the likelyhood of getting biten when putting your hand in is lessened.

i hope this helps

Old 11-24-2003, 11:48 PM   #3
Tacticalmaniac
Talking feeding

Personally, I think f/t or fresh killed is a personal preferance .. so more power to ya there.
I also do believe in a feeding response so feed all my large snakes out of their enclosure, in a big rubbermade tub with a hole cut in the lid to allow me to drop additional food items in. I mean ... if it smells like a rat, is warm like a rat and is moving, as live rats tend to do ... it must be a rat .... whack ... crap, that was a hand.
I do agree with Robin when it comes to feeding neonates in their enclosure to reduce the chance if regurgitation however.
Good luck, hope it helps and happy holidays.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!