what should i feed it? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-01-2004, 01:07 PM   #1
holes_in_me
Stop! what should i feed it?

I have a baby cornsnake that is 19 inches and very thin... I have tried feeding it pinky mice, but in comparrison to the snakes head they look huge and it hasn't gone for them.. is there anything else a cornsnake of this size will eat.. I am getting worried.. i've had the snake a month or so and it has not eaten....

Old 06-01-2004, 04:21 PM   #2
lds2
Sarah,

Did you get the snake from a breeder or pet shop? Was it feeding before you purchased it? Is it dehydrated? Have you been handling it a lot? Is the enclosure for the snake set up properly i.e. proper heat gradient, hide box, humidity level etc? These are all questions that need to be asked before your question can be answered. All of these things can affect the cornsnake's appetite.

If the snake is dehydrated, you need to get fluid into him. If he is not dehydrated you can try a number of techniques including putting the snake in a deli cup with a live pinkie and covering the deli cup so that no light gets in. Leave it alone overnight and check it in the morning. You can also try feeding the snake brained pinkies. Just split the pinkies' head open, exposing the brain and offer it to the snake. If force feeding is required, I would have someone experienced do it for you such as a vet ot breeder. If you do it, start out on mouse tails, it is easier on the snake and you. You might also try assist feeding. Just use the nose of the pinky to open the mouth of the snake(make sure to lubricate the head with water) and force the head towards the back of the tthroat. Once the nose of the pinky is back that far, just put the snake back down in the enclosure. Many times, his natural instinct will kick in and he will eat.

I would strongly suggest picking up one of the cornsnake books on the market as they will answer most if not all of your questions.

Finally, if you are very concerned, you can take your snake to the vet for examination.

Old 06-01-2004, 10:26 PM   #3
holes_in_me
more info

i unfortunately got the snake in a petshop.. They said they had just gotten it in.. I don't believe it is dehydrated as i have seen it drinking it's water.. I keep it in a twenty gallon aquarium, with soft bedding.. It is in the mid eighties on one side and cooler on the other side, and i keep the water on the cool side.. I mist the cage to help with the humidity.. I have tried putting the snake in a small paper bag, and i have tried the brained pinkies.. my snake seems to be quite active also... no idea, i used to work in the herp. house in a zoo, and never saw a corn not want food.

Old 06-01-2004, 10:46 PM   #4
Willis Wildlife Enterprises
Definately feed your snake in a small enclosure, a deli cup or a small paper bag (small sandwich or even smaller). If you haven't tried a live pinky, please do so. You should also try a lizard scented pinky. Leave your snake undisturbed over-night. As a near-last resort, try a small (baby) lizard (anole is possible). I really haven't heard of any other prey item to use, but I've often wondered about very small frogs as a possible prey. I live in very good wild cornsnake country in mid-Gulf coast Florida. During the spring, I see hundreds of tiny brown to black frogs that look like ideal food for young snakes. We also have hundreds of tree frogs that could also be excellent prey. Although I've never actually seen or heard of a cornsnake eating them, I don't see a reason why one wouldn't. Could be worth a try.

Old 06-01-2004, 11:02 PM   #5
holes_in_me
i usually feed live and have tried the bag trick and the braining trick.. i thought about frogs as i have read that on another website.. i was also wondering about crickets... might be the right size??? the pinks seem kinda big for the snake to eat

Old 06-04-2004, 10:12 AM   #6
cka
Hi Sarah,
Ocasionally you will find/buy/get a corn snake that will just not eat, despite your best efforts. A 20 gallon aquarium is big and it may be feeling stressed by the "enormity" of it's world :*)... place it in a smaller container, like a plastic shoebox, or add several hides throughout the 20 gallon to give it a choice and find a spot in the aquarium where it is most comfortable...Wait at least one week (more is better) for it to settle in than try the the smallest pinkie you can find...place the pinky, snake and deli cup in a dark, warm spot (closet hehe) overnite and keep us updated...good luck and peace..Chris

ps "Just say NO to crickets for corns"

Old 06-04-2004, 01:38 PM   #7
paulh
There is a possibility that your corn will not take a mouse but will take a pinky rat. My first corn was like that. It will look like your little finger eating your middle finger, but the snake can get a small pinkie rat down. Good luck.

Old 06-15-2004, 10:33 PM   #8
holes_in_me
it ate

I took the snake to the vet. he said the emp i was keeping it at was okay, but he suggested to crank the heat up even more to about 90-95 and that may spark it to eat... so i got a higher watt lamp and added a live pinky and it ate after only 3 hours.. yay!!! i was so worried

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!