Breeding venomous - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-15-2003, 04:03 PM   #11
NocturnalNature
Rob,
I sent the pictures to Tom. Hopefully he will have better luck forwarding them to you.

Tom, I agree with your statement regarding the laws about selling/trading offspring. While I think they were put into effect for a noble reason there should be some sort of process which allows for trading in LEGALLY obtained/produced animals.
Have you had much luck with successful reproduction of any of your animals?

Back to Rob, What are the laws regarding the selling of captive born offspring in your state?

Old 01-15-2003, 04:26 PM   #12
NocturnalNature
Here is my first attempt at uploading a photo.
If it doesn't work hopefully Tom can figure out how to make them available to this group.
Thanks
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2003, 04:29 PM   #13
NocturnalNature
Same snake, different angle.
Sorry about the picture quality! I had to reduce them so much that the actual colors have suffered somewhat.
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2003, 04:33 PM   #14
NocturnalNature
Here is a pretty Copperhead found in the same area.
I have a fondness for these snakes! They are typically very snappy and defensive whereas most of the Rattlesnakes I have found are VERY laid back. Almost to the point of being able to pick them up and dance around with them(although I haven't tried it!).
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2003, 05:09 PM   #15
Rob Hill/Geckos Anonymous
Jackie,

that is a nice looking Timber to me. A good friend of mine has a pair of bright yellow Timbers and both of them display the reddish-brown dorsal stripe and kind of resemble the animal you posted. Actually, if you have ever read Manny Rubio's Rattlesnake: Portrait of a Predator, you will see pictures of at least of these Timbers(they were his originally and he gave them to my friend a few years ago). I don't remember if both were in the book or not, but there is a picture of a Timber in water that I remember clearly, and that is one of the pair. The Timber you posted is very nice and I like that Copper too. Copperheads have always been special to me as well.

Tom, I like your designation of the Canebrakes as the "Coastal Phase" of the Timber Rattler. And I know that there is no major mystery involving the captive breeding of our native hots, but I am simply not in a situation right now where I am set up to do it(don't have pairs of anything ). And when it comes to Corals, thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm currently not up to the task of getting adults to eat, let alone a bunch of hatchlings But it would definitely be cool to see someone captively breed them(has anyone bred them in captivity yet?).

As far as the laws here go with selling native hots, it is not specifically stated as illegal, but it is VERY frowned upon and honestly more trouble than it is worth. But I keep as exact collection data as possible on my natives(most are WC or born from WC females) and I plan on breeding animals from the same or close-by localities together so that if I produce babies, I will be able to release them back where the parent stock originated(assuming the area is still safe for them to move back into). Unfortunately, though, I do have a couple of truly urban Coppers that I probably will never be able to repatriate. It is a funny situation in Atlanta as Copper population densities are DENSER inside the city limits than for 20 miles outside the city limits. I don't see breeding hots as any kind of enterprise or anything, but truly something strictly 100% for my enjoyment.

I would definitely love to have some tree vipers. If it's arboreal chances are I like it. But my absolute favorites are the Atheris vipers. They are just TOO cool.

Old 06-27-2003, 12:33 PM   #16
Dan W
I would also love to talk about breeding hots as well as caring for them. I currently am working with Canebrake Rattlers and Russells Vipers. I am hoping to get started again with Blacktail Rattlers and Urutus. Anyone have any experience with them? I am also fond of Great Basin Rattlers and would like some more info on them and pics if anyone has them. Currently I am trying to figure out the best captive conditions for Gaboon and Rhino Vipers. And I am trying to learn as much as possible on the Red Spitters. Whew!! My email is boaman@cloh.net

Feel free to email me....

Thanks,
Dan

Old 02-15-2004, 08:56 PM   #17
Rattlesnake
When were the two snakes considered to be one and the same? According to 'Rattlesnakes' by L. M. Klauber-forward by H. W. Green,1997; they are considered to be two different animals. Timber rattlesnake (C. horridus horridus) and Canebreak rattlesnake (C. horridus atricaudatus)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!