How can there be a het leather? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #11
OEdwards
After looking at the link I posted please explan to me how that is possible

Old 03-18-2012, 10:57 PM   #12
Cache Reptiles
jmp745-
The limited research that I've done on dominant genes has yielded that a dominant to dominant gene pairing will produce animals all showing the dominant trait. Attached is a picture of a punnett square showing this cross (picture taken from the website of New England Reptile Distributors). If you find other info contrary to this, please let me know.

I'm curious, Ed- who else has consistently produced recessive leathers?
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #13
jmp745
You may be right Dillon. I dont really know.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #14
jmp745
actually on http://www.worldofballpythons.com genetic wizard if you put spider to spider you get 75% spider and 25% regular. So I might be right. We dont really have simple dominant traits for beardies, so maybe some snake guys could shed some light on what happens if there is no super dunner.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #15
Cache Reptiles
That is very interesting- now that you mention it, I do remember listening to an interview with Brian Barcyk where he discussed all dominant traits really being co-dominant. Instead of there being a "super" form that was phenotypically different, it appeared the same as any other dominant form, but produced as a "super" form would. For example- breeding two dunners together. 25% normal scaled, 50% dunner, and 25% "super" dunner. The "super" dunners would produce as a silkback would compared to a leatherback. So when breeding the "super" dunner to a normal-scaled animal you would get 100% dunners instead of only 50%. You would have to hold back a large amount of the clutch to prove it out, but it's definitely an interesting thought.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!