HELP! Is Wagler's doomed? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-17-2003, 04:46 AM   #1
isosatori@earthlink.net
HELP! Is Wagler's doomed?

Hello, there-
I have a colony of 3 female and 1 male T. Wagleri (Sumatrans). On Friday, we had a power outage here in the Pacific NW that took temps down to 38-40 degrees F. I took my guys out to the woodstove area (in separate containers) and monitored their temperatures all night. They never got below 64 degrees, but that's still a pretty big shock for a snake, I suppose. Now one of my females has suddenly gone from a happy, feeding, arboreal critter to the floor of the cage. There IS a secondary heating pad there (I have one on the bottom and one on the side where she roosts to maintain a good heat and spray daily for moisture) , and she's on it-but I don't feel good about this. Ambient temp is about 74 degrees right now. She seems listless-all this in the last two days. Is there anything I can do to help her? No 'sites or other problems with her. She did drink a bit of water but I'm really concerned about this new development. Can anyone give any suggestions?
I thank you much!
Kristina Holoun-Field
Carnation, WA
425-844-9362
isosatori@earthlink.net

Old 12-02-2003, 02:25 AM   #2
snakegetters
Crank up the ambient so that she has a basking area of 88-90F for a few hours a day, but can also escape to lower temps when she's had enough.

If this were my snake and she was continuing to show behavioral changes, she'd probably be going on a light prophylactic dose of a broad spectrum antibiotic. My pick is Fortaz (Ceftazidime) every 72 hours, intramuscular, 20mg/kg in a situation like this. Get your vet to prescribe some if he or she agrees that it is warranted.

Waggies are very easy to handle and tube and give their shots to. Find detailed instructions on venomous veterinary restraint at www.snakegetters.com.

Old 12-02-2003, 02:29 AM   #3
snakegetters
Should also mention that nebulizing an antibiotic is an even less stressful option for these guys. It does take a small investment in equipment though; ask your vet about building a small nebulization chamber that you can place the snake into. You can pick up a home nebulizer for under $100, and fit the tubes to a Sterilite or Rubbermaid container. Baytril doesn't nebulize well in the standard suspension; you need to buy the water soluble enrofloxacin sold for chicken flock management, or else use one of the aminoglycosides in conjunction with saline and keep the patient well hydrated. It's an option to discuss with your vet.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!