Jamaican Boas Breeding - Page 54 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-17-2015, 12:20 PM   #531
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakesitter View Post
Good news on the two. Fingers crossed on the third.
Thanks. We'll have to see how that goes. I want to say he seems stronger than he was when I first found him, but it's hard to say. The tail region is still unresponsive, which indicates to me that there might be some serious spinal damage. Might not be fatal, but only time will tell.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:20 AM   #532
cguarino30
Here's a fun development: Around midnight last night, my wife was smoking in the garage and happened upon one of the remaining fugitives crawling into a case of drinks. I managed to catch the little bugger, meaning there are only two left unaccounted for. The new guy was looking pretty lethargic, which could be from dehydration or the cold or both. He seems better this morning, and I'll try to feed him tonight.

Feeding update for this week:

All new hatchlings were fed chick thighs and ate.

E3, H3, H5, H6, N1, N2 and N3 were all fed quail chicks. H5 and N2 declined. H5's chick was exceptionally large, and I think that was the problem. N2 just needs to stick to thighs for a little while longer.

E2 and N4 were each fed a fuzzie and ate it.

T3 was given a pinkie and a chick thigh and ate neither. I will try an anole next week and see if that gets her back on feed.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:29 PM   #533
cguarino30
Forgot to add that I offered a f/t small anole to the injured one last night, and he did not eat it.

I also gave a chick thigh to the newly found baby today and he ate right away, so that's a good sign.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:44 AM   #534
cguarino30
Feeding update:

H2 was fed three chick thighs and ate them all.

E3, H3, H5, H6, N1 and N3 were fed quail chicks. (N2 has gone to a new home with one of the new babies). H6 and E3 declined, but they were given the largest chicks, and I think that was the problem. Some of the chicks in my last order were mis-sized, so I'm going to make an effort not to use those until these guys get bigger.

E2 and N4 were given fuzzies and ate.

T3 was given an anole-scented pinkie and finally ate. Apparently, this is the time of year when T3 gives me a hard time. I'm going to try unscented again next week. Hopefully, now that I've gotten her eating again, she'll be less picky.

All of the new babies were offered a chick thigh, and all ate with one random exception. I think the problem was that I put the thigh directly on the carboard tube, and it got stuck to it. The baby had clearly made an attempt, but it took some effort for me to remove it in the morning, so there's no way the little guy could have done it. I may feed this one again tonight to see if that helps.

The injured baby was given another anole and refused again. Not looking great for this guy.

Many of the new babies have shed out again, and I'm starting to see some real lookers. I'll start picking out my keepers soon, and will post pics when I do.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:30 AM   #535
cguarino30
Another Feeding update:

All holdbacks were fed a quail chicks except for H2, who was given three chick thighs.

N1 and N3 were given quail chicks.

E2, T3, and N4 were fed pinkies.

All new babies were given a chick thigh.

T3, and H5 declined.

In addition, the injured baby, who was moved to a tub from a screen cage last week, was given a chick thigh and ate it. Hopefully, this is a good sign. I don't know if it was moving to a more secure place or just healing over time, but I'm glad that one's on feed again. The injuries are still fairly apparent, and I believe there is some nerve damage to the tail region, so we will have to see if he's able to pass feces, but if so, I think he could still make a good ambassador animal for an educational display, or just a pet for someone. Fingers crossed.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:39 PM   #536
AirborneMan21
Any updates

Old 12-03-2015, 09:07 AM   #537
cguarino30
Hey, guys. I know I've been slacking off on the updates. Sorry about that. Real Life has been somewhat out of hand. haha.

The other thing is that there's not much to update. A lot more of the same. This new clutch is doing exceedingly well, and is much stronger than last year's in a lot of ways. I think a grand total of 2 meals have been missed by the entire litter put together. Even the hurt one is now eating regularly, and seems to be healing somewhat, so I'm getting pretty optimistic that he'll make a decent pet for someone eventually.

As for the yearlings, some of them have been skipping a meal here or there, but that's to be expected with the time of year, and nobody's missing more than a couple in a row.

I'll try to get some better photo updates sometime soon, but in the meantime, I snapped a few random shots of the babies. They seem to have exceptionally good color development (and some interesting patterns as well) compared to last year. You can see that the blacks and yellow are starting to come in, but the dark reds are retaining significantly as well. Here's hoping a lot of them end up with mom's tricolor smattering.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2015, 02:07 PM   #538
toddnbecka
Good to hear they're doing well, been wondering, figured life was busy though, lol.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:45 PM   #539
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
Good to hear they're doing well, been wondering, figured life was busy though, lol.
Yep, all is well. Life has been crazy busy, plus these new ones are so reliable that it almost makes no sense to do weekly updates. This has been a very strong litter. Almost no missed meals whatsoever. It's definitely a welcome change from last year. Here's hoping they switch over to pinkies easy, too. That would just make my year. I'll probably start trying within a month or so.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:10 PM   #540
GillianC
I finally took some update photos of Harper. The black is really coming in on the tail. (S)He is probably one of the prettiest snakes I have.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!