Topshelf Exotic Forum- New look! - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > New or Updated Websites and Web Resources

Notices

New or Updated Websites and Web Resources General notices about a new website or a newly found one worthy of note. You can introduce your new website here as well.

Old 08-05-2005, 03:45 AM   #31
Chris@TSE
Well i hate to diagree there but the listings code that was made from scratch, is actually readily available. in fact its only a few lines of code. it is actually 10 lines to be exact, listing any stats you would like with the correct indicators. posts counts, posts, rep points, anything with a $value. if you would like code to see for youself you may simply go into your style, plug it into your footer or header, and itll come right on up. If you want it drom me a pm Rich, since you believe it is some type of huge "from scratch" modification code. I would not want to infringe upon your feelings on this matter and if you beleive it to be propriatary its best exchanged privately. Your programmer may have looked at pre-packaged type mods, but possibly looked in the wrong place. Some modifications that simply add a few lines of code are listed right in discussion forums and such...... I was surprised how many modifications there really are for vbulletin.

Our programmer is also quite good, he has authored many distributed public mods and has done some really great work on other vbulletin sites. A bit tough to get in touch with at times but all in all we're happy. Next step is the graphic work. Obviously any vbulletin system if extreme "overhauls" are not completed with the genertic images used in vbulletin many of the forums look alike. same structure and feel. I'm hoping to "round or smooth" it up a bit more instead of all the darn boxes and sharp corners. It would be nice to look at a vbulletin system and not realise it is a vbulletin system. They even offer a special license to remove the copyright information so it is bare..... kinda odd but I guess it works for those tpyes of applications.

Old 08-05-2005, 10:42 PM   #32
DragonCharm
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboa
Got a reply to my message to Webslave.

"Re: Thought you should look at this

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the concern, but yes, I had already seen that thread when it was started. I just read over the latest postings, and have to agree with Chris that there is no restriction on any other website using the same publicly available modifications for vBulletin that I am. From my own personal perspective, I have always felt that it was inappropriate for me to use "look and feel" mods from sites within the same industry, but that is simply my own choice from my own ethical leanings. I don't try to impose that upon other people, for obvious reasons.

If there is anything that I may disagree about, I guess it would be the actual display of the highest and lowest reputation and feedback used on the forums front page. That, as far as I know, is not a standard publicly available modification, as I had to spec that out specifically for my programmer to code into my own site. I can't say that I have any real legal proprietary right to that particular idea, however, but it WAS an original idea of mine. My programmer is one of the best out there for vBulletin, and he had to code it from scratch since there was no mod available to go from. I think he would have known of a public mod if there was one.

As for legalities, heck, legal issues are expensive to pursue. Even if it applied in a case like this, I guess I would hope people would just use common courtesy instead.

Just my opinions, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboa
Sorry I'm not very computer savy, but there is a post in the New Websites section pointing to a website at Topshelveexotics that I think you need to look at. It looks like a clone of this site and duplicates some of the looks and functions that this site has. Not sure if it is legal or not, but it sure would piss me off in your shoes. Can people just do something like that? I figure this guy Chris has been around here for a while, and it seems just unfriendly for someone to make a copycat site light that.

Sorry to bother you, but they are ripping me a new one in that thread over this, so maybe I just don't understand how this all works. "
Looks like narcing didn't work. I knew Rich had too much love for the herp community to worry about petty stuff like there being another board out there that is reptile based. More places to share knowledge=more knowledge for us all.......

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!