HELP!! Shipping tomorrow..crazy rates - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
4riscorn
Exclamation HELP!! Shipping tomorrow..crazy rates

So I am shipping out a 2 lb snake package across country tomorrow..with fedex approved waiver...overnight priority..when I put just the weight it is saying $58 (last week it said $48, this week $58??) but when I put the box dimensions in, which I may add is the same box he came in, it is saying $329!!!! What is going on? Do I have to put the dimensions in? That is nuts!!

Old 11-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
TheFragginDragon
That sounds quite a bit high, what are the dimensions of the box you're sending?

Old 11-21-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
4riscorn
blonde moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFragginDragon View Post
That sounds quite a bit high, what are the dimensions of the box you're sending?
I just did it again and I was looking at the centimeters on my ruler! But still even with the correct dimensions of 12X10X8 it is still a lot higher than what it is without the dimensions. I wasn't charged the amount it is saying when I had it shipped to me and it is going back to the same state.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
Wolfy-hound
It could be whoever shipped it to you got a lower rate due to volumne shipping(if he ships a lot through fedex) or due to the timing of the shipping.

You could always call to ask a real person rather than the computer program on their site, and they might be able to explain why it's higher.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
4riscorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy-hound View Post
It could be whoever shipped it to you got a lower rate due to volumne shipping(if he ships a lot through fedex) or due to the timing of the shipping.

You could always call to ask a real person rather than the computer program on their site, and they might be able to explain why it's higher.
I guess I will just take a loss this time since it is already scheduled for pick up tomorrow. It is only my second shipment so I guess that is why it is so high. I didn't know the box I was going to use (since I haven't ordered mine yet) so I didn't put in the dimensions when doing the quote.

Do I have to use a white perishable box or can I use a cardboard box with perishable labels? It said on the waiver to use the same box as tested but of course we use different size boxes so I didn't know if it applied to type (color, etc) or just the strength of the box.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #6
TheFragginDragon
Yeah, 'dimensional weight' is usually the calculation they use to determine freight cost. Are you shipping to a residential address? That will always increase the price also. Your best bet (IMO) is to ship it with a 'Hold At Location' at the recipients nearest FedEx hub. You'll get the best price, you won't have to worry about it getting mis-delivered to the wrong address, and you'll be in compliance with the waiver issued by FedEx.

You'll want to use a box that has at a minumum the crush strength that your test box is rated.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
4riscorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFragginDragon View Post
Yeah, 'dimensional weight' is usually the calculation they use to determine freight cost. Are you shipping to a residential address? That will always increase the price also. Your best bet (IMO) is to ship it with a 'Hold At Location' at the recipients nearest FedEx hub. You'll get the best price, you won't have to worry about it getting mis-delivered to the wrong address, and you'll be in compliance with the waiver issued by FedEx.

You'll want to use a box that has at a minumum the crush strength that your test box is rated.
No, it is going to another business. Okay..here goes my latest situation.....
I spoke to my rep when I had problems recently trying to get a HAL done. The FedEx site showed it allowed holds but when I tried to process it, it kicked it out and said it would not hold at location. So I went to the next one on the list to find out they didn't particularly like animals held at their location and could possibly deny the package. But luckily they didn't and it went well. I was frustrated with the process because I spent all weekend trying to figure out why the first address kept giving me 5 day ground as the only shipping option and didn't find out until I tried processing it as a HAL overnight that it didn't accept overnight HALs. Then once the shipment did go to the next one in line, the tracking contradicted itself by saying hold at location on one line and sorry hold at location not available at this location on the next. It was interesting to say the least. So the day after delivery, my rep finally got back to me and told me they were having trouble with some locations doing HAL on reptile shipments and you don't know until it gets there. And they can send it back. She told me that since UPS halted their reptile shipments she herself had set up 60+ accts this month alone and that with all the problems they have had, they are allowing residential as long as there is a business name on the package as well. But the place I am sending this shipment is an actual pet business, not residential. But for future reference, she told me as long as the to and from showed a business name of some kind and the label is fedex generated, not a hand-written label, then they cannot deny shipment. She told me they are supposed to be changing the waivers but it will take some time. She suggested not to do HAL at this time until it gets worked out. She said online information on holds does not show reptiles since there is the waiver process to go through. And when I called about if a location held reptiles, I was told flat out that no live animals were permitted to go FedEx. I explained to her the waiver info and she told me she didn't know where I got my information but there was no such thing and anyone attempting to ship any kind of live animal could get prosecuted!! I told her I have had several shipments come to me, or HAL, and nothing had been said. I also told her it was a long process to get the waiver and the reptile industry has been using FedEx for years with the waiver. She told me I needed to send out the info that it was illegal under any circumstance. When I told my rep this..she laughed and said she had no idea why they didn't notify everyone at FedEx about the waiver info when it first started and some people are clueless. I also had trouble with my test shipment being sent from my local FedEx. They had no clue what I was talking about and then when I got my waiver, they didn't want to accept it because "They don't like reptiles there." But I made them take it and I attach it to my shipments as well.
It is frustrating doing shipments, but it is worth it to go through all the trouble to make sure your animal arrives safe.

I will remember that about the dimensional weight and try to do the smallest box I have. Right now, all I have are two boxes, both larger ones, that I received shipments in. I haven't ordered my reptile boxes yet since I don't plan on doing a lot of shipping this time of year. But maybe I had better go ahead and get them a little a time so I will have plenty when the weather gets warmer for my geckos and corns.
Thanks for the info!!

Old 11-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
4riscorn
Just found out another reason why it didn't cost as much for me to get the package as it is for me to send it back out. I still have the shipping label from the box and it says it is a 7X7X6 box and 1 lb which was another one I got from them. So it must have saved my info from the previous one. So does that mean they didn't even measure it or measured it and billed the correct amount to them after it was shipped? I noticed they didn't charge me until like 2 days after I sent mine last week. Do they do that to allow measuring, weighing, etc.?

Old 11-21-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
Foschi Exotic Serpents
This sounds absolutely nuts! Are you doing this through your online fedex account ship manager?

It has never asked me to put in dimensions. Simply a weight. It asks what type of package. I click box. It asks what type of shipping and I click overnight express second priority which is generally a 10:30 am delivery. Then it asks approximate value.

I've shipped to businesses and residences with no problems ever.

As far as the certification waiver.. My rep did send me a new application informing me that that they have this new form for certification but I was also told that anyone who was certified before the new application was made available would not need to re certify.

I think she sent it to me to let others know if I was ever asked.

I do know that many fedex locations will not accept live animals to be dropped off for shipment or to be HAL simply because they are afraid and ignorant of the fedex rules.

Any actual fedex staffed location is required to accept these packages. If they say no, then politely get the name of the person you spoke to or the location manager and pass this info on to your rep.

If it is not a fedex staffed location, they do not have to take these packages if they don't want to.

You can use a brown cardboard box and cut your own styrofoam insulation to fill all sides, top and bottom. Then put fragile and/or perishable stickers on it. The outside of the box does not have to be marked in any way that says it's a live animal.

The top of the inside flap does however. Or the top of the top piece of styrofoam. This way if it is ever is inspected, they will know what is inside before they completely open the box.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:04 PM   #10
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4riscorn View Post
I guess I will just take a loss this time since it is already scheduled for pick up tomorrow.
This is part of it. They charge extra for pickup

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!