Kingsnake babies won't eat. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-02-2003, 12:16 AM   #1
ref6832
Kingsnake babies won't eat.

I have three Durango Mt. Kingsnake babies born on July 27. Their first shed was about 8 days later. I've tried giving them live and frozen pinkies, but they won't eat. I went to a reptile zoo near where I live and they suggested rubbing the pinky on the flesh of a snake which they gave me to try. They still didn't eat.
I haven't tried to force feed them yet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rory

Old 09-02-2003, 08:09 AM   #2
Clay Davenport
They're only a month old, so no real worries yet. Here is a short list of tricks you can try though.

-- "brained pinks" which is splitting the skull of a thawed pinky
-- Leave them in a deli cup overnight with a live, thawed, and brained pink. Not all at the same time of course. With the dead ones a few hours should be adequate to see if it will eat, you don't want it to decay.
-- Wash a thawed pinky and rub it on an anole. Alternatively, you can mince a thawed anole and mix it with a little water to effectively scent many pinks.
-- Tease feeding. This is lightly tapping the neck or body of the snake with a thawed pinky. The idea is to cause the snake to bite the pink and hopefully have a feeding response kick in.

You're not to the point of needing to force feed yet, but if you do find it necessary, you might want to start with mouse tails. These are much easier to get down than a whole pink mouse. Just cut the tail off a thawed mouse and use a portion of it to feed the king. Cutting the lerger end at an angle makes it a very easy process.

If all else fails put them through a 4 week or so brumation, this often jump starts them into eating when they are warmed back up.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!