crickets in general - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 09-05-2003, 01:48 AM   #1
jbubbles87
Question crickets in general

HELP!!!!!
I live in Kentucky, and at work the other night I saw a cricket come in the window but the way he came in looked like he was flying. I found a dead one and it looked as if he had wings. Do crickets have wings???
And if so do they fly...or just use them to glide when jumping from high places.
Guys at work think I am crazy...

Old 09-05-2003, 02:17 AM   #2
Clay Davenport
Yes, crickets have wings. They develop them with their final molt into adulthood.
While most people believe the crickets chirp by rubbing their legs together, it's actually the wings that are used to make the sound.
They do not fly, and I have never seen them use their wings for anything besides chirping.
I suppose they could use them to soften a landing from a significant height, I've just never seen it happen.

Old 11-17-2003, 03:01 AM   #3
Adam Block
Thanks Clay, I bred crickets for a long time and didn't even know that. You're just talking about the males though I assume. Shows how much I notice, I did note their wings made the noise just never added up that those were wings. LOL

Old 11-17-2003, 03:24 AM   #4
Clay Davenport
Yeah, while both sexes have wings as adults, only the males chirp.

I raised crickets on a couple of occasions and soon decided that was way too much aggravation. Roahces are the way to go for me, less work, less smell, and longer life spans.
Glad I don't have to fool with crickets any more.

Old 11-17-2003, 03:31 AM   #5
Adam Block
AMEN!!! I had to buy a lot at one point so I just gave them a place to lay the eggs. Worked very well and offered me different sizes.

Now I just have Leos and 4 T's so I breed mealworms, very easy, oder free as well and again they live much longer. Plus you can toss extras in the fridge!

I don't need many crickets so I just buy 10 a couple times a month. I should maybe try to feed them mealworms too? Do you know if that works? I would assume there are issues with it so I didn't try.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!