Thread for coachwhip lovers - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Snakes For Sale/Wanteds > Other Snakes

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 01:51 PM   #1
KevColubrid
Thread for coachwhip lovers

Ok, this post has been a long time coming, and I've got to get it off my chest. One thing that I am absolutely sick to death of hearing about is how coachwhip snakes are the most vicious things alive. What makes me even madder is when somebody wanting to train for hots comes on and asks if anyone has a coachwhip specifically for that purpose. I'm not going to deny that coachwhips can be very aggressive, especially when first caught, but I can name off the top of my head a couple hundred other snakes that are horribly tempered, worse than a coachwhip, and yet have recieved full praise and love from the world of herptoculture. Green tree pythons, retics, king and tiger rat snakes (wow, those are fun...), white-lipped pythons, cribos, etc, just to name a few. And yet, coachwhips are shunned as being snakes that are next to impossible to keep because of their temperment. I own three at the moment, two westerns and an eastern, and I can honestly say that they are a joy to own. They are some of the most beautiful, intelligent, alert snakes I've ever worked with. I'd never call any of them ball python friendly, but they definately aren't the monsters that they're made out to be. They seem to have this inate ability to know what you're going to do before you do it. Just as an example, with my big male western, if I'm reaching in the cage to change his water or whatever, he'll just sit right out in the open and watch me do it. Or, if I'm adjusting things in his cage, he'll just kind of sit and check me out. It's whenever I reach for him that he can get a little flighty. Definately not aggressive, though. I've got a gopher snake right now that's a hundred times worse than any coachwhip I've ever encountered. I've heard that the high red westerns are even tamer, I've never owned one, but would absolutely love to. Anyway, this is just my two sense, if you love coachwhips, speak up! Thanks for reading.
Kevin
P.S. Pictures are appreciated, too :-)
  Contact User Check User

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread