Lucille + Vet = Amusement? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-16-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
Pachikat
Lucille + Vet = Amusement?

So I took my big girl, Lucille, to the vet today. Last Thursday I spotted some weird things in her stool. I've had her for a long time now and I've never ever ever come across anything of the sort in her stools so I panicked and called in a vet appointment. It didn't help that this all happened on a Thursday evening, after vet hours. Left a message and they called me back that Friday morning, the quickest they could get me in was for 4pm today (Monday). So I had AAAALL weekend to fret over what it could be. Lucky for me most of my snakes like to all go on schedule so I was able to collect fecal samples from all but one of the boas. So here I am, going to the vet. I've got a 20lb snake in one tub, and a huge ziplock bag filled with smaller bags for each fecal sample. I get in the exam room, I'm waiting on the doc to come in and I hear a bunch of chatter going on in behind the second door (I'm guessing this is the back room area). Everyone wanted to see the big snake, to the point I debated on asking the first person who walked in if I could possibly charge an admission fee (jokingly of course), but I didn't. >.> So the one girl takes the samples off my hands and takes them to the back. Afterwards another vet tech yells across the room asking her what was in the bag & I think another one asked her if she took the fecals yet, so the girl yells across the back "I'VE GOT THE POOP!!!" I dunno... I guess I was expecting her to call it anything other than poop. I couldn't help but laugh. We get all squared away and the vet gives Lucy and the others a clean bill of health according to the samples.

The neatest part was getting to look through the microscope myself. Coolest thing ever. T_T I want one.

-my- Lucille!

((She's too big to have a warm soak in the bathtub, so she gets her own kiddy pool outside during the summer))

Old 08-16-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
Lucille
Glad she is doing fine

Old 08-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
crotalusadamanteus
Glad she's OK. But what was so alarming about her pooh?

Nice looking girl too. I get the same routine when I bring them into my vet. But I always do most of the handling during exam or treatment. He says he trusts me more. LOL But extra hands are always welcome when I get the big girls over there.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:48 PM   #4
Pachikat
She had some weird oblong white specks all over one particular bit of stuff, almost looked like internal parasites. The vet said it looked like fly eggs and that it's possibly that with the caging I have (custom/homemade wood cage with screened holes for the lighting ) and over abundance of flies during this time of the year it's possible that a fly found it before I was able to remove it (I'm guessing Lucy did her number while I was asleep and I usually don't check the cages before I go to work (Let me rephrase that, I usually wake up 30 minutes before I'm due to clock in so I scramble like mad to get there).

During the exam the only person who handled her was me and the actual vet, everyone else just handled the.... poo. xD The vet's youngest son wanted to handle her, but I know car rides make her grumpy so I kinda had to let the poor kid down. T_T Last thing I wanted was for the ONLY reptile vet in my area to tell me not to come back because her kid took a bite or worse.

@One of the other little people who work their nearly died of a heartattack. While we were weighing her (they had to use the floorscales that they make the dogs stand on) and theirs happens to be riiiight behind one of the doors. She came out of there and one of the other girls was like WATCH OUT and she peeked around the door and did the typical OHMYGAWD EEEEEEEP thing. >.>

Old 08-17-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
Matt2979
Good looking snake. Glad to hear that all of your animals got a clean bill of health!!

Old 08-18-2010, 01:12 AM   #6
Omnomnami
Lucille is sooo beautiful! I'm glad they're all healthy! What a funny story.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!