Infertile Egg Laying - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
Heart4Dragonz
Infertile Egg Laying

Hello Everyone!
I have a trans trans female(obviously) who is a year and 4 months old. This year she's started laying infertile eggs, she laid one clutch earlier this year and another 2 in the last 3 months, and I'm sure she's getting ready to lay again, making this a monthly occurrence. I've heard this isn't a really healthy thing, but I do make sure to calcium and protein her up as much as possible...tried pinkies, but she just bit the head and left it there(yummy!)
But anywaaay, does anyone have any suggestions on what to do about this?
I do have a male, but they're on opposite sides of the room from each other, and NEVER have contact, and can't even see each other unless I'm moving them about the room, so I've unsure as to why she's laying. I've had 2 other females that never have. So any help would be appreciated!
Thank You!

Old 08-17-2011, 04:29 AM   #2
dragonluver83
She cycled because she seen the male. They dont always have to be in the same cage. Just visible. And even from cage to cage. Unless really far away, they can see each other.

Super worms and dubia roaches will keep her body weight up to par. I dont like pinkies because they carry parasites.

If you want to use pinkies, try buying a frozen batch. Then steam those. There like little sausages and the dragons love them.

Dont use a good pot to steam in, and dont stand right over the stove when steaming. Not the best smelling. But you dont have to worry about the parasites.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
Heart4Dragonz
Thank you Thomas!
I'm still not sure when she would've seen him, their cages don't even face each other..she's stopped since the end of last month, and hasn't shown any signs of laying again soon. She gets alternating roaches and crickets every other day or 2, she's back to her fatty self. :-p
If she does continue to lay them, I just may give the frozen ones a try. Just keeping my fingers crossed that she won't cycle again, been ultra careful making sure she can't see my male when he's out. Gonna have to find her anew home soon, and wouldn't want her cycling through that. :-\

Old 08-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
rcarichter
I had a girl that not only laid infertile eggs, she laid way too many of them. She lived to be 11. A couple times per year, she laid 2 clutches (a couple weeks apart) that always totaled over 100 eggs. I raised her from a hatchling and she never saw another beardie. She was always given lots of extra calcium during these times. I couldn't let her breed because she was born with missing toes. The vet said it just happens sometimes, and gave me a calcium supplement liquid to give her via syringe.

Noelle

Old 08-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
Heart4Dragonz
Yea, my girl is up to 4 this year, and they're usually clutches of about 25/30 infertile eggs.
Glad to hear your girl made it to such an age

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!