Info Ship Your Reptiles Random charge - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:42 AM   #1
sixgunsun1177
Ship Your Reptiles Random charge

All pro shipping a.k.a. ship your reptiles just hit me with the random $23 charge. Make sure you check your accounts.
Shipyourreptiles.com
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2017, 12:55 AM   #2
nickolasanastasiou
Any idea why? Could there have been a difference (overage) in reported dimensions or weight when creating a label versus actual dimensions or weight when checked into FedEx's systems? Not saying that happened. Spit-balling.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:00 AM   #3
California Breeders Union
Its an adjusted charge. The box weight or dimensions didn't match the value placed at booking.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:01 AM   #4
kingpinreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Breeders Union View Post
Its an adjusted charge. The box weight or dimensions didn't match the value placed at booking.
This.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:21 AM   #5
norcalCham
SYR has great customer service. Just send them an email if you have questions.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:03 AM   #6
robyn@Pro Exotics
Hi Matt, you can def inquire with us directly for more detail on this. I am DEF not looking to air it out in public. But the BOI is the BOI, and it doesn't get erased, so I will run through the details.

You shipped a 6 pound package on Sept 19th, and booked it as 12x9x6, our very common "#2" size. But the actual package shipped was the "#4" size, at 15x15x8.

FedEx charges by actual weight or dimensional weight, whichever is greater. They scan every package with a 17 laser system to get the actual size.

A 12x9x6 package dims at 9lbs. A 15x15x8 package dims at 13lbs, which is quite a bit larger, and is $23 more expensive. There is no admin fee or penalty in the charge, it is just the actual difference between the package you booked and the one you shipped.

Dimensional weight is covered on our site in a variety of spots, and you agree to any adjustment charges when you check off on TOS during the booking process.

We have a few different FAQs addressing dim weights, adjustments, and "why did you charge my card after", but this is a good one with detail- https://www.shipyourreptiles.com/en/...ng#question-33

That link includes the simple FedEx formula for calculating the dim weight of any package. HxWxL/139

We have to chase down $1000+ in adjustments a week. It is my LEAST favorite part of the job. But that is over $50k a year that would be lost to underbooking. We waive any adjustment under $2, and that alone costs us over $10k a year. Still, charging folks adjustments bums me out, but it is necessary.

Often a breeder books a package, prints the label, and then during the packing process finds that the box is not quite big enough, so they bump to the next size, or in this case, two sizes up. No worries, it happens. But that larger box costs more. You don't HAVE TO rebook the label, especially if you are short on time, just expect, as we cover on the site, for an adjustment to roll through once the FedEx billing cycle goes, which can be 1-3 weeks.

Again, there is no penalty or fee in that $23. Just the actual difference between the package you booked and the one you shipped, and it is calculated at your SYR discounted rate.

I'm sorry for the confusion and hassle. I have a screenshot of the adjustment detail from SYR admin, but you can also see the FedEx package size scan of 15x15x8 in the lower right hand corner of your tracking screen from FedEx.com. Contact me by email if you want that image, I don't want to post it publicly.

It isn't malicious, or a "gotcha" extra charge, just an actual package cost. And, as it turns out, it is a good opportunity to fill other folks in on dimensional weights, how to calculate them, and why they are important : )

100% we appreciate your business and support. We bust our butts to provide a great service and we work hard to be the industry leader in reptile shipping!

Old 10-04-2017, 02:37 AM   #7
robyn@Pro Exotics
My mistake, it was booked as 15x11x7, our #3 size box, not 12x9x7. The 15x11x7 box dims at 9lbs. The screenshot shows 15x11x7, I just had 12x9x6 on the brain when I was writing the post, sorry.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:50 AM   #8
Beyond GenetiX
I switched to ship your reptiles earlier this year and I have to say they are great. Someone will always respond to an email in a timely manner, even throughout the weekend. I would encourage reaching out to them with any questions or concerns, they are very helpful.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:09 AM   #9
Lucille
I am thinking that it is almost always appropriate to reach out the other party prior to a BOI thread to ask for an explanation if something appears incorrect. As it turns out there was a solid factual explanation for the charge in this case, but even in the cases where a party makes an error, I think a private notification first and an opportunity for that party to explain the issue or correct any errors is a good way to handle a perceived problem.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:44 PM   #10
SiXandSeven8ths
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I am thinking that it is almost always appropriate to reach out the other party prior to a BOI thread to ask for an explanation if something appears incorrect. As it turns out there was a solid factual explanation for the charge in this case, but even in the cases where a party makes an error, I think a private notification first and an opportunity for that party to explain the issue or correct any errors is a good way to handle a perceived problem.
It seems like a lot of folks think this is some kind of magic customer service site for anything having to do with reptiles.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!