cages for the pair of Uromastyx - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-12-2006, 09:03 PM   #1
scotty77327
Question cages for the pair of Uromastyx

I just bought a pair of Uromastyx male and female well for my wife so i could get an albino burmese and was wondering if someone had any pics of their cage setups and bedding choices . still can't believe i bought something with legs . thanks for the help scott
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2006, 09:40 PM   #2
melrep
They are messy little guys huh? lol
Well I will post some pics in the reply but my camera stinks so they are not great quality, But they are 2 feet tall 4 feet wide, With a temp of 110-125 degrees, You should put a rock underneath the light so they can sun there, and of course dont forget your UVB bulb, ( I use a mercury vapor bulb with heat and UVB But alot of people use a heat bulb and UVB floresnt either way is fine) I use High Quality Finch bird seed as substrate ( finch so no sunflowere seeds to choke on) and you will need some hide boxes probably on the cooler side of the cage. Those are the basic's, DeerFernFarms.com
has an extensive care sheet on Uro's. And we will be glad to answer any questions!!! Good luck and congrads on your new purchase, you will love them!
Melissa

Old 09-12-2006, 09:41 PM   #3
melrep
P.S. If you choose to use sand instead of bird seed, Make sure it is calcium sand, if not they are likely to get an impaction and possibly die, You can get it at any local petco or petsmart.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:04 PM   #4
scotty77327
the guy we got them said a sand and sifted dirt mix but the finch seed makes better sense what about keeping a male and a female together

Old 09-12-2006, 10:18 PM   #5
melrep
So Long as you are sure you have a pair and they are of similar size. Keeping a pair together is actually prefered. Uromastyx are social generally. Make sure to watch for aggression. Lots of hiding places and sometimes two different feeding plates usually keeps them from getting to teritorial. As for diet it's mostly greens(no lettuce), mixed frozen veggies(microwaved or steamed of course), and the occasional waxworm or cricket treat dusted with vitamins.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!