Baby hognose enclosure - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-14-2018, 07:04 PM   #1
jsnook13
Baby hognose enclosure

I am getting a baby Western hognose (eating medium pinkies) and I would like to see if you guys think the enclosure in the pic below would be adequate for a snake of this size??
Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2018, 07:28 PM   #2
mike03081970
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnook13 View Post
I am getting a baby Western hognose (eating medium pinkies) and I would like to see if you guys think the enclosure in the pic below would be adequate for a snake of this size??
Thanks.
Top looks plastic careful they melt

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Old 01-14-2018, 08:22 PM   #3
kalel5011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnook13 View Post
Thanks.
What are your temps?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Old 01-15-2018, 02:51 AM   #4
HerpDerp
I'm keeping my baby hognose (17grams) in a 5.5 gallon glass tank w/ a screen lid. I would switch your bedding to aspen chips instead since these guys like to burrow and the aspen chips allow them to create these little tunnels. I also noticed that if you cover 3 sides of the tank with aquarium background, they seem to come out more and you can view them just roaming their home.
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2018, 07:37 PM   #5
hotlips
I'd also recommend UTH as these are terrestrial & burrowing snakes, so any heat on the top of their cage is not where they need it, & isn't efficient (heat rises, most goes away from the cage). If you can actually get enough heat into the cage, reaching the floor that way, it's likely over-heating all the air, and all snakes need temperature choices, cooler & warmer options, to be healthy.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:56 PM   #6
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlips View Post
I'd also recommend UTH as these are terrestrial & burrowing snakes, so any heat on the top of their cage is not where they need it, & isn't efficient (heat rises, most goes away from the cage). If you can actually get enough heat into the cage, reaching the floor that way, it's likely over-heating all the air, and all snakes need temperature choices, cooler & warmer options, to be healthy.
I second the recommendation for a UTH. It must be regulated by a thermostat if you get one.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:53 PM   #7
hotlips
And a caution for heating the cage as shown by OP: heat melts (or warps) plastic cages, please use a glass tank with UTH, for safety and best results. The bottom of a plastic cage will take an even bigger beating from UTH than the top would from the overhead light, since heat rises and bottom heat is trapped going upwards. As bcr229 said, UTH must be regulated: they get way too hot & can hurt the snake, besides the risk of overheating.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!