So....Who is going to screw up first? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
SPJ
So....Who is going to screw up first?

I wonder what seller is going to be the first to completely screw over the entire hobby and ship a burm?
Looks like all the ads out there state a shipped price or how much extra shipping will be.
As of March 23rd, you cannot ship burms.
I say the first violation will occur within 60 days.
There is always one that will screw it up for all the rest.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
hhmoore
The first violation....as the first person to ship a burm, or the first person to get caught & prosecuted?
I'd be willing to bet that the first illegal shipping has already occurred.

**edit: I just went and looked at some ads on KS...the very first one I opened stated that as of March 23, burms were only available for instate sales. That was the only seller that I noticed acknowledging the new law (I'll give credit where it is due - it was Ken Foose)

Old 03-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
The first violation....as the first person to ship a burm, or the first person to get caught & prosecuted?
I'd be willing to bet that the first illegal shipping has already occurred.
I agree. The first shipping violation has probably happened. I am figuring the first time someone is caught shipping a burm. Once someone gets caught, look out. The HSUS and all the other factions trying to ban these animals will be given all the ammunition they need served up on a silver platter.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
**edit: I just went and looked at some ads on KS...the very first one I opened stated that as of March 23, burms were only available for instate sales. That was the only seller that I noticed acknowledging the new law (I'll give credit where it is due - it was Ken Foose)
Big thumbs up to him. He appears to be the only one who is listing in state sales only.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
hhmoore
To do that, they will have to start opening/inspecting packages....or enforcing the labeling requirements that are already in place (and, even then, they'll have to open to guarantee accurate labeling). Actually, upon further thought, I realize that the above isn't true...they could order a burm, and intercept the shipment - is that considered entrapment??

From my place on the sideline, I'd say that a quick, highly publicized seizure would send the message home...if that is their goal. If they're after numbers; better to wait a few months, let people notice the lack of enforcement. I think there are people out there that would turn in other sellers...and, if that doesn't happen, more people will start taking chances. A few days of grabbing the telltale white boxes for inspection will probably yield some illegally shipped animals and other Lacey Act violations.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
SPJ
All they need is one burm found being shipped and the media, politicians, and HSUS will have a field day.
The sad part is you know that someone will end up shipping one rather than lose a sale.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
Tim Cole
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
All they need is one burm found being shipped and the media, politicians, and HSUS will have a field day.
The sad part is you know that someone will end up shipping one rather than lose a sale.
Unfortunately, I'm sure this will be the case.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
Lucille
Quote:
media, politicians, and HSUS will have a field day.
I'm thinking that perhaps the articles might be already written and plans/speeches made for when it does happen. There are times when research is done and articles written and saved, ready to be run when needed. For big deals like important elections, several articles are written and the appropriate one used. (From time to time newspapers have been known to run the wrong one).
No question, it's a land mine waiting to happen.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #9
SPJ
I wouldn't put it past HSUS to go to a show and find a seller that came from out of state and brought burms with them to sell or be an out of state buyer and have one sold to them.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #10
Tim Cole
Quote:
I wouldn't put it past HSUS to go to a show and find a seller that came from out of state and brought burms with them to sell or be an out of state buyer and have one sold to them.
But a responsible show promoter should catch that.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!