Can't get rid of condensation - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:28 PM   #1
piebald320
Can't get rid of condensation

Hello! I have a dwarf reticulated python and a red tail boa who are both in tubs where I cannot seem to get the condensation down! I have their water bowls on the cool side and I have holes on every side of the tubs near the top. The substrate in their tubs isn't currently eco earth but I was thinking about switching to aspen and maybe that will help? If anybody has advice on anything else I can do please let me know! I was thinking about trying to make more holes but I am worried that will lower the ambient temps too much. I'm also curious if I cannot get the condensation down should I be worried? The eco earth doesn't feel that wet and the snakes seem pretty dry when I pull them out but I have heard that condensation is associated with respiratory infections. Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 08-06-2017, 05:32 PM   #2
piebald320
I accidentally said the substrate isn't eco earth, but I meant it is eco earth! Sorryp

Old 08-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #3
bcr229
Typically tubs stay plenty humid without having to use a substrate like eco earth or cypress mulch for humidity. Try switching to paper. Aspen would work but it molds fairly quickly in high humidity environments.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:38 PM   #4
piebald320
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Typically tubs stay plenty humid without having to use a substrate like eco earth or cypress mulch for humidity. Try switching to paper. Aspen would work but it molds fairly quickly in high humidity environments.
I have heard that about aspen and I have been considering paper But they both splash there water around a bit and I just hate how paper soaks that up across the whole tub when it happens and then they have to sit in it until I get home.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:17 PM   #5
elena
A few things. I am in the minority on substrate choices, in that I keep my boa constrictors and ringed pythons on carefresh, a paper product. Humidity holds, and it's easier to clean up than aspen. That being said, condensation isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as no mold is forming as a result. Making a few more small holes in the tub shouldn't alter the temp too much either.

However, my bloods are on newspaper. They always dump their water everywhere and I got sick of cleaning up loose substrate every single day. Sure, this results in them having to sit on wet newspaper from time to time, but I just change the newspaper daily and have never seen any ill effects on their skin or anywhere from being wet for a few hours. I mention this because I don't know how retics are with their water bowls, and thought perhaps this info may apply.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:13 AM   #6
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by elena View Post
I don't know how retics are with their water bowls, and thought perhaps this info may apply.
Retics are very active and love to redecorate. If they can't dump their bowls then they'll climb in to displace the water.

It helps to use large bowls with the base wider than the top and only put a little water in it each day. That way they can drink but not make a mess out of the tub if the bowl does get flipped.

For my adult retics I actually use livestock bowls and have yet to have one dumped, but they're pricey. For smaller snakes the melamine cat and dog bowls from the dollar store work fine.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:40 PM   #7
elena
Yes, small amounts of water in heavy bowls is what I do with my bloods as well.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:04 PM   #8
piebald320
Wow putting less water in the bowl is an obvious solution I never thought of! I'll experiment with that and using paper and see if it helps, thanks guys!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
humidity, red tail boa, retic, reticulated python, tubs