'Serpent-Handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #21
Mike Schultz
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
and now it's religion.
Wrong, it's not "religion" I'm attacking, it's a dangerous and stupid practice that I am saying is stupid. Everybody else voiced their opinion that "Oh it's OK because it's their belief" and now I am voicing my opinion that it's not OK because it's stupid. Not only do people suffer (as shown), but how well do you think these geniuses take care of the snakes in between magic shows?

Old 12-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #22
hhmoore
I don't have a problem with you (or anybody else) speaking out against the practice...but you had to go the extra step and say that it's a very stupid religion. Contextually, it might not be that big a deal to many; but it's just one more hashmark on the list of times you didn't have enough sense to try to not to be offensive.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #23
IMAJACOBIAN
Mike,

I'm not for the this practice either, but I do support religious beliefs. I try to take an understanding view of other people situations. After all, eww I like snakes as a lot of people say to me. My own dad donates to fight our rights to keep our reptiles ever since I began.

I do agrre with your point that the care of these animals are probably subpar at best since they may not be experience in the keeping of them. They may also be WC wich in my opinion makes things worse.

Religious freedom is a touchy subject and I try not to cross the line, but dance on it closely

Jacob

Old 12-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #24
Mike Schultz
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
I don't have a problem with you (or anybody else) speaking out against the practice...but you had to go the extra step and say that it's a very stupid religion. Contextually, it might not be that big a deal to many; but it's just one more hashmark on the list of times you didn't have enough sense to try to not to be offensive.
My point is that a lot of times religion is used as a security blanket to defend ridiculous things. If a teacher at a school taught his students that it was safe to handle venomous snakes, and the school board approved of this, you would immediately agree that the teacher, the school, and the practice were stupid. But since its a religion, we had better respect them no matter what they do?

Old 12-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #25
hhmoore
You're missing point, or just intent on defending something that I already agreed to.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #26
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schultz View Post
My point is that a lot of times religion is used as a security blanket to defend ridiculous things. If a teacher at a school taught his students that it was safe to handle venomous snakes, and the school board approved of this, you would immediately agree that the teacher, the school, and the practice were stupid. But since its a religion, we had better respect them no matter what they do?
Just like you can disapprove of a person's actions without attacking him as a person, you can disapprove of this practice without attacking the religion.
For instance, as a nurse, I disapproved of groups who did not believe in medical care for religious reasons, if their kids got sick and they did not take the kids to a doctor, but it was that specific practice and not the whole religion that I had a problem with.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:04 AM   #27
Mike Schultz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Just like you can disapprove of a person's actions without attacking him as a person, you can disapprove of this practice without attacking the religion.
But it's not the person, it's his religion that promotes this. He's not the only snake handling preacher, is he? Somebody else mentioned that snake handling has been practiced for thousands of years. I disapprove of religions that practice dangerous, archaic practices that go against modern knowledge and basic common sense. There are religions that mutilate the genitals of infants, there are religions that promote violence against other religions, and there are religions that tell their followers to put themselves in blatant danger in the name of faith. I show my disapproval by voicing my thoughts that they are stupid for doing these things.

I know this is all just my opinion and I never presented it as anything but that. I'm doing the same thing that you guys are defending- expressing my beliefs. And I did it in no way that violates any rules of these boards, so i'm not sure why Mr. Moore is so upset.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:35 AM   #28
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schultz View Post
I know this is all just my opinion and I never presented it as anything but that. I'm doing the same thing that you guys are defending- expressing my beliefs. And I did it in no way that violates any rules of these boards, so i'm not sure why Mr. Moore is so upset.
calling an entire group of people stupid is akin to name calling, which is against the rules of the site. I believe Harald was being courteous warning you that you are treading a fine line here. Does that clarify?

edit - we can take this to PM if you have any further questions so this doesn't go off topic

Old 12-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #29
IMAJACOBIAN
I don't beleive that this has gone too far off topic. After all, the article was about a religious act that is controversial to say the least. I'm not defending anybody here, but everybody has their own beliefs and a right to express them. However, this is a privately owned web page and there are rules to follow with certain paramaters that we can express our opinions within. This is for a good reason and to protect everybody.

Mike, you have every right to have strong feelings against this practice, many battle for our right to own venomous snakes. There are some people who agree with handling like this, but I am not one. I do have strong feelings against it as a dangerous act, but I do not have(nor does anybody else here) a higher power to say what is truly right and wrong religiously speaking.

I too, in my first post made the same comment and called them a name for calling it a poisonous snake. I was corrected by both Lucille and Shadera for this and I believe they are correct in their statements.

There are many religions, and many of them are ideas from the same book to say the least. Who has the right to say one view of it is the correct view. What proof lays in front of everybody to make it obvious. The best solution I can think of is to respect different views of the same ideas which sometimes are extreme and sometimes just slight variations of another idea.

Jacob

Old 12-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #30
Lucille
An interesting case, if anyone has time to read it, is the Church of the Lukumi Babalu Aye, Inc. v. Hialeah.
Here, a city council initiated ordinances outlawing animal sacrifice. The target of these ordinances were the practitioners of the Santeria faith, whose religious rituals involved such sacrifice.
It is in my opinion worth reading the case itself, and the discussion of religious constitutional rights.

Handling venomous snakes and animal sacrifice as part of religious observance may not be our cup of tea, but care must be exercised so that the ways we treat those who are different that we are do not come back and bite us.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!