Can't get 6 wk baby to eat greens/veggies :( - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
shelldom
Can't get 6 wk baby to eat greens/veggies :(

We bought some salad from a reptile store but he wouldn't touch it. We also grated some carrots for him...no luck there either. So I just bought some plain old kale and he did take a couple nibbles, but that's about it. Should I be worried? Or will he grow to like them? :/ Also, I never really see him actually drinking water from his water dish..once in a while we will see him in it, but thats it. Should I try another tactic to get him to drink more? He doesnt look dehydrated to me, but I just want to be sure. Thank you for your help!

Old 05-13-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
Tere Salazar
Nope, actually, not eating greens and veggies is perfectly normal with babies. The trick that always worked for us was to give them their "salad" first thing in the morning, and not give them any crickets until 2 or 3 hours later. That way, they have no choice, and eventually start eating it on a regular basis.

It's also perfectly normal for them not to drink from a water dish. With babies, it's actually easier to mist them with warm water and give them baths so the water can be dripped onto their nose, which entices them to drink.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
shelldom
Thank you for your help! I was getting a little concerned here haha

Old 06-06-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
Crazy4Herps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladragon View Post
Nope, actually, not eating greens and veggies is perfectly normal with babies. The trick that always worked for us was to give them their "salad" first thing in the morning, and not give them any crickets until 2 or 3 hours later. That way, they have no choice, and eventually start eating it on a regular basis.

It's also perfectly normal for them not to drink from a water dish. With babies, it's actually easier to mist them with warm water and give them baths so the water can be dripped onto their nose, which entices them to drink.
I agree. Nothing unusual. Keep offering them, but don't worry if he doesn't take them.

Actually, carrots and kale aren't the healthiest for beardies. The pre-made salad from the reptile store probably isn't the healthies either. Fresh greens are better; and cheaper. Here's a great site that shows some of the best greens/veggies for beardies.
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtrem...Nutrition.html

Many beardies have a hard time drinking still water. In the wild, they lick dew off of plants. They also get a lot of water through their food; both live food and salads.

Baths are a great way to keep them hydrated. Some beardies, like mine, really enjoy baths. It's best to give your dragon 3 baths per week. (Or more; mine gets baths every day. ) Don't be startled if he poos in the bath; this is totally normal. Just make sure to scoop it out or drain the tub. Baths should be up to his armpits and should feel warm to your wrist.

With baths and the liquid they get from their food, beardies really don't need any more water, but it's a good idea to offer it anyways. Keep a bowl of clean water in the enclosure. Also, you could try using and eyedropper to put beads of water on his nose, which he will lick off if he's thirsty.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!