Feeding spined cactus pass to tortoise - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:17 PM   #1
bigjej
Feeding spined cactus pass to tortoise

Every now and then I feed my adult RFT cactus pass from the local market but it's a real PITA to manually extract the spines. I don't need enough to make it worth purchasing spineless pads. If I feed them with the spines in, would the tortoise manage or am I risking injury?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Old 03-13-2017, 04:49 PM   #2
Slowpoke
Eric, why risk it?

Old 03-15-2017, 10:11 AM   #3
bigjej
That was my question, whether there is a risk or not. I don't want to risk it if it is a potential problem. After posting it I found the local produce store selling small bags of chopped cactus pad !

Old 03-15-2017, 05:40 PM   #4
Calaveras
If you live in the southwest the stuff grows like a weed. Take a cactus pad and drop it on the ground or bury halfway in sandy soil and you are done.
You can usually walk around the neighborhood and find pieces fallen off people's cactus. It helps to know the Spanish word for cactus is nopales.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:50 PM   #5
Helenthereef
As I read it, the OPs problem is not lack of available cactus, it's lack of de-spined cactus, and the time it takes to remove the spines.

I presume the chopped cactus you have now found is de-spined so has solved your problem?

Otherwise I think it's a matter of risk acceptability - obviously no one is de-spining cactus for tortoises in the wild, so they must have some ability to chomp on spiny cactus without harm. But then again wild animals get injured in the wild too, and mostly we aren't prepared to let that happen to pets, so we sanitise their food and remove that risk.

It's like the cooked chicken bone question - we are told that we shouldn't feed cooked chicken bones to our cats and dogs because they can splinter and cause injury, so we don't do it. However stray dogs take chicken bones from our dustbins and eat them apparently without harm - but we have to assume that not all of them make it to the ripe old age we'd like Rover to attain.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:04 PM   #6
bigjej
Calaveras that explains why the chopped cactus were labeled nopalittos!

Old 03-15-2017, 08:05 PM   #7
bigjej
Helen you are correct. The problem is avoided with the chopped cacti though this is the first time I've seen them. How are they used in Mexican cuisine?

Old 04-05-2017, 09:38 PM   #8
Rocket21
I take a blowtorch and burn the spines off and that saves my fingers as well. Only takes a few seconds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Old 04-08-2017, 06:35 PM   #9
nickolasanastasiou
You can also take a dry sponge and use it to rub down the pads while wearing gloves.

The tortoises probably do not care about the glochids anyway. When I infrequently (once or twice a year) provide cactus pads, I do not bother with glochid removal. I think their viscous saliva tends to help deal with the prevention of a perpendicular angle when the glochids are bitten and ingested along with the rest of the pad.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:49 AM   #10
AdamHess512
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolasanastasiou View Post

The tortoises probably do not care about the glochids anyway... I think their viscous saliva tends to help deal with the prevention of a perpendicular angle when the glochids are bitten and ingested along with the rest of the pad.
Precisely, the glochids are absolutely no harm to your RFT, I've raised some hatchlings on a diet primarily consisting of Prickly pear pads always with the glochids, hell you can even leave an entire pad in there to wear the beak down a bit. I like to think of it as extra nutrients

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!