Build Bee Hotels to Help Save Native Bees - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 03-06-2017, 04:57 PM   #1
JColt
Build Bee Hotels to Help Save Native Bees

Bees are an integral part of our ecosystem. A garden with happy, healthy bees grows happy, healthy plants. Why not help these friendly pollinators even more by building “bee hotels”?

There are 4,000 species of bees that are native to North America and they are far more efficient in pollinating than the more commonly known European honeybee. Native bees are losing habitat at a dramatic rate and this is leading to a huge decline in population. You can help save these bees by creating a house for them in your garden. The bees will gladly thank you by pollinating your garden!

http://www.realfarmacy.com/build-bee...e-native-bees/

Old 07-16-2017, 09:59 AM   #2
JColt
Some really cool hive idea's

http://homestead-and-survival.com/12...ainable-honey/

Old 07-17-2017, 01:20 AM   #3
Helenthereef
These are some very cool designs. I love the idea of making hives out of plastic drums and tires.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:38 AM   #4
WebSlave
Interesting that you mention honey bees.

When Connie and I were down on Sanibel Island last month, the rainy season had set in with a vengeance. Now the place we had rented was just a stone's throw from the local mosquito control heliport. And I mean that literally.

Activity was pretty brisk with the copters taking off an landing there, and we just assumed that they were spraying like crazy for the mosquitoes that were obviously now in abundance. But while walking on the beach one day, we got to talking to a local resident who said he had talked with the copter pilots and they said they were spraying but not for mosquitoes. Unfortunately he did not ask what exactly they were spraying for. Anyway, they said that all the mosquito spraying was being done after dark by planes out of Ft. Myers. And yes we did hear planes flying over head, usually after 10pm.

One night in particular the planes were flying overhead pretty frequently, so I guess they were getting serious about the spraying. Interestingly enough, the next day we were walking on Bowman Beach, and we noticed that there were a LOT of honey bees laying on the beach. Some dead, and others alive, but apparently unable to fly. This was actually quite a nuisance, because if you were to step on one of these still living honey bees, they would definitely light up the underside of your foot. Ask me how I know this... There were also quite a few floating in the water among the waves, again, some alive and some not. We also saw quite a few honey bees flying around as if disoriented above the beach area. One even flew at me from behind and lodged himself between my hat my right ear. Connie wound up pulling that stinger out of the top of my ear, after I pulled the bee out of there.

But anyway, maybe just a coincidence, but there sure were a lot of dead and dying honey bees on that beach directly after the spraying regimen they were doing in the area. But my guess would be that getting rid of the mosquitoes at all costs in order to keep the tourists happy, probably is a whole lot higher on their priority list than trying to keep the honey bees alive.

IMHO, of course.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:41 AM   #5
AbsoluteApril
Thanks for sharing the links Joe!

There's a pretty good documentary "More Than Honey" that came out a few years back.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:23 AM   #6
WebSlave
One of the guys in another of my forums found this interesting tidbit:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/02/u...ills-bees.html

Old 07-18-2017, 11:42 AM   #7
bcr229
With my luck if I put some of those hives in my back yard I'd end up with wasps.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:03 PM   #8
WebSlave
Or the imported "killer" bees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac20YWRjvrQ

Old 10-06-2017, 06:26 AM   #9
CricketChitin
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Or the imported "killer" bees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac20YWRjvrQ
That video jogs the memory bank. I remember watching decades ago on tv. I wonder how how many years those bees have been acting?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!