Need Help A.S.A.P. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-03-2005, 07:41 PM   #1
joesreptilez
Exclamation Need Help A.S.A.P.

I just aquired a female speckeled kingsnake and 15 of her eggs. The 15 yr. old was keeping her and the eggs in a 10 gal aquarium with dirt as substrate. The eggs (seem) to be in overall good condition the momma buried them somewhat in the dirt, but the temps in the cage when i got there was 82. They were laid on the 25th of june. My question is are the eggs any good still and if so how do I incubate them. BTW i am only experienced with boids but knew i had to save these guys from the pitiful life they were living. Please help me.

Thanks,
Joe Henderson

Old 07-03-2005, 08:32 PM   #2
hhmoore
In my (admittedly limited) experience in breeding colubrids, the temp you found the eggs at was pretty much perfect. Major temperature fluctuations can cause problems; so if the daytime temps spiked over the last week, that could be an issue. If they aren't terribly caved in from being too dry, you've probably got a pretty good shot at hatching them (provided they are fertile to begin with...try candling them). As for incubation, set them up in a stable temp environment. Any of the traditional substrate will do (perlite, vermiculite, etc). I typically went a little drier with my mix than I did for python eggs...I didn't measure humidity levels, though. I'm sure that more experience colubrid breeders will speak up soon. ESPECIALLY if I was off on any of the above.

Old 07-03-2005, 08:44 PM   #3
joesreptilez
Thank you very much for your help. A few of the eggs have some small denting and slightly dry looking. What am i looking for specifically when candling? Also i'm kinda under the impression that more than one female laid these eggs, because she is right at 4ft. long, or is that about right? I have the eggs in butter bowls with potting soil and temps are 80.6 and steady, will that work or do i need to go to wally world for vermiculite?

Joe Henderson

Old 07-03-2005, 09:14 PM   #4
Sasheena
Sounds like a large clutch, but not impossible from a single female. I have a 52" cal king who laid 16 eggs last year and 15 eggs this year. If you can get some sphagnum moss, or some vermiculite, those are good substrates for incubating eggs. If you incubate at 80 - 82 degrees you can expect the eggs to hatch in between 60 and 70 days from when they were laid. IF you don't know when they were laid, just start counting as if they will hatch in 60 days from the day you got them. If you want advice, please feel free to post on here. I'm not an expert in that I'm only on my third year breeding king snakes. My first year I had two clutches of kingsnakes, last year I had two clutches laid but one went bad, and this year I have 5 clutches.

Old 07-03-2005, 09:29 PM   #5
joesreptilez
Thanks Sasheena, so i take it the potting soil is a no no? The eggs were laid the 25th of june. I have never owned a kingsnake so i thought that she needed to be kept at higher temps like my boas. I have momma in a 40 breeder 88 on warm side 79-80 on cool is that ok? Sorry for all the dumb questions, but until about 6:30 today i have never owned or even looked into what it would take to keep a kingsnake. I haven't even had time to look up a caresheet or anything. Thanks for putting up with an old newbie lol.

Joe Henderson

Old 07-03-2005, 09:50 PM   #6
hhmoore
whether or not the potting soil is ok depends on what is in it. many, if not most, of the commercially produced potting soils have additives. I would stick with moss, perlite, vermiculite, etc. The temps you listed are higher than needed for a king. depending on the room temp, you can probably get away with minimal supplemental heating...maybe just have your heat source on for a couple of hours daily.

Old 07-03-2005, 09:59 PM   #7
Sasheena
I would try to have the hot side no more than 85* myself. There ARE plenty of stupid questions out there, I've just never heard any (because they weren't asked!). I don't even heat my snakes in the summer here in AZ... house is air conditioned at around 82 degrees, there are warmer spots and cooler spots in their cages.

I wouldn't incubate in potting soil personally. If I could get some vermiculite I would do so..... then get some sort of tupperware container that will fit the clutch of eggs completely without them touching the lid. Preferably one without ANY holes drilled in it. I would fill the bottom with vermiculite and add a TINY bit of water.... When you squeeze the moistened vermiculite in your hands you should not be able to get ANY to drip out... it should clump tightly, and leave your hand feeling moist but not wet. Put the eggs in the vermiculite so they are half buried (keep the orientation of the eggs the same, so that the side that is facing up will always face up). Once they are half buried in the vermiculite, put the lid on. The next day or two check to see if there is any condensation on the inside of the lid.... if it's a fine dew-like mist, it's perfect, if it's large or medium water droplets, it's too wet.... wipe all the water off with a paper towel and close again.... when it stays a fine mist, it's perfect. If you never get a mist and the eggs start to dent in and shrivel, it's not moist enough... get a paper towel damp (not wet, no water when wrung) and place it lightly over the eggs... check next day, if it's bone dry and the eggs are improved .. repeat the processs until things seem just right.

If you have someplace that maintains a temperature between 80 and 84, (even a shelf) just place them there and give them time. If you prefer to use an incubator, make sure that the temperature you are checking is both the surface and under the surface of the vermiculite. eggs die in heat more easily than cooler temperatures, so just make sure your temps don't go much over 84.

If you can't get vermiculite but can get sphagnum moss (NOT sphagnum PEAT moss) then you can try incubating them in that, but I'm not an expert on that method because I can't get any around here that doesn't turn to mold pretty much right away.

Old 07-03-2005, 10:08 PM   #8
joesreptilez
Thank you both so much for all your help. I do have some sphagnum moss and i'll change that immediately. The ambient air temp in my boa room stays between 80 and 84 so i'll just put the eggs in there. I'll be sure to post pics of the babies if/when they hatch. Again you guys are the greatest.

Joe Henderson

Old 07-03-2005, 10:11 PM   #9
Sasheena
Just remember to ask questions if things seem funny at any time. You can post a message here or PM or Email myself or the other helpful people on this forum. It doesn't have a HUGE amount of traffic, but that just means that the people who are here are pretty cool and there aren't any (many?) fools that frequent this little place on the net.

I haven't been posting much, but in the last week of July when all my eggs are due... you'll see all kinds of posts! The clutches that I'm incubating are 7, 7, 4, 11 and 14 eggs! LOTSA babies!

Old 07-03-2005, 10:25 PM   #10
joesreptilez
Some of the eggs are dented and feel dry. Exactly what should they feel like, for instance my leopard gecko eggs should feel like a stale marshmallow. I don't want to be a bother, i'm just scared i'm gonna lose these eggs.

Thanks in advance,
Joe Henderson

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!