advice on how to give meds - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-27-2005, 06:16 PM   #1
techgirl
advice on how to give meds

i was given panacur and flagyl to deworm my remaining 2 leos siachen and lowari. what is a good way to give it to them? i kinda put it on their nose and let them lick it off. is it a good idea to give bene-bac while i'm doing it to keep the gut fauna in balance? thanks for the advice. i got their wts too yesterday. siachen is 10 gms and lowari is 20 gm. thanks for the advice. it was fun watching my friend trying to compound the dose so i could give it to them. she was like "wow you need to give 0.001 cc, yeah that ain't going to work now is it?" lol

Old 12-27-2005, 06:21 PM   #2
The NY Gecko
Its simple. I had to give panacur to my male awhile ago. If they don't like this method too bad. Simply apply lateral pressure on jaws to open then insert end of syringe and pump. They will swallow it more than likely. Of course it may require more fuss, they will more than likely try to fight and will squirm or spit out the end of the syringe if they can. I didn't say it was going to be easy neither. One more thing to add is that you will need to use a little power to hold the buggers still. It took me like a half hour to get my male and female done. Hopefully your job goes a little smoother

Old 12-27-2005, 07:38 PM   #3
ByRandom
I would suggest getting a Q-tip and cutting the cotton-swap part off. Then using the remaining stick to press firmy against their mouth. Keep the stick horizontal so whenever they do open their mouth the stick slides in to keep their jaws apart. Then just squirt some medicine in their mouth. That method is what I have used and it's fairly simple. You may need an extra set of hands if you have them to help hold the geckos still.

Old 12-27-2005, 10:48 PM   #4
dragonflyreptiles
Did the vet not tell you how much to dose and hoe to give them the dose?

Old 12-28-2005, 01:25 AM   #5
neatochickens27
Let them know whoose boss.I used to be soft on my one leo when he was on antibiotics.He wasent inproving so i took the eyedropper and pushed on his mouth a little till hed open it then squeeze it in.Within a few tries youll get it.

With young babies its easier somtimes.If you tick a baby off enough it just opens it's mouth real wide waiting to bite you.When it does this you can squeeze a little in his mouth.But make sure hes horizontal so he dosent choke.
Good luck!

Old 12-28-2005, 10:41 AM   #6
techgirl
i've got the dose but i thought it'd wouldn't be that hard to give, man i wrong. how bad is it if some gets on their nose. can they run the risk of aspirating?

Old 12-28-2005, 06:49 PM   #7
groovygeckos
Just do not put it over the nostrils. I have had very good luck just feeding meds when they needed them. Put the syringe or dropper right at the tip of their mouth, sqeeze a little out and they should actually lick it up. Just leave the droplet in contact with their mouth and dont sqeeze it so it drips out.

Had one that licked it up then would shake his head, guess it didnt taste too good.LOL But he still would take all of it for me!

Old 12-29-2005, 05:02 PM   #8
techgirl
Question can these meds cause decreased appetites?

ok since i've started giving the meds i have noticed a decrease in appetites in both of my leos. the blizzard i haven't seen eat in 2 days. can the panacur do this? also i found out that i had given some wax worms as a treat to the both of them 5 days ago and the boyfriend decided to do it as well when i was out. turns out the blizzard ate about 6-89 waxies all by himself! he is looking a little fat but not what i consider bloated(like an engorged tick) but he has not shown any interest in eating. any suggestions? should i give him an enema? bene-bac gel?

Old 12-29-2005, 06:00 PM   #9
groovygeckos
Probably from the panacur. May also be they are 'spoiled' on waxworms. It happens, some will refuse to eat anything else. They love those, they are like twinkies for Leos though. (not very good nutritionally)

Are you able to call the vet, that prescribed this? He would be able to help im sure. I would not give an enema unless you are very aware of the correct way to do that. That may be something the vet should do, but im not sure.

The bene bacs may help out more than anything. But you could also offer a food they do not see often, or something new to them, if it is because of the waxies.

Old 12-29-2005, 06:30 PM   #10
techgirl
well the blizzard just had a normal bm so i'm happy. i got in contact with my friend(the vet) and it can happen with panacur. also i noticed the typo i made earlier, it was 6-9 waxworms, not 6-89(jeez). we'll keep an eye on the appetite. thanks for the info

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!