Bufo japonicus illegal in the US? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:31 AM   #1
FamousAdventurer77
Bufo japonicus illegal in the US?

Does anyone know this for certain? I never see them available for sale from breeders on websites or at expos in America though they are very popular pets in Japan from pet stores and wild-caught.

I'd love to have one or two, I fell in love with this species watching AnemoneToadLife's videos on Youtube and seeing how awesomely his bonded pair get along and the amazing personalities they have. They have beautiful racing stripes so he had a toad race!

If anyone has any info, it'd be appreciated.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Jay Sommers Reptiles
They are not illegal at all. It is just hard to get Japanese species. Pm me i can help you

Old 09-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
Ron Allen
Try these guys. $1000 min. http://www.alexhuereptiles.com/export/importexport.html

Old 09-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
FamousAdventurer77
Eek that's definitely out of my range. O_O I only have space (and funds!) for maybe 2 toads.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
WingedSweetheart
I've posted a thread about this before asking for help. No one knew anything at all useful. I finally found someone that was supposed to import some for me. However I guess it just never worked out. He said his supplier in Japan couldn't get them. Don't know why. Like you I also watch that channel on YouTube and a few others. They seem popular over there and they have been captive bred from what I understand. So, I don't know why it's so hard to get them.

It seems people from various places in Europe can get them. I've read a few posts from England, Germany and Netherlands.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:59 AM   #6
FamousAdventurer77
Anemone's vids are just amazing! Ah, his toads are C.B.? That could definitely explain how they're so tame. Although there was a video I saw of a large bufo japonicus some guy found in the bushes and she seemed like a very friendly toad!

It is a strange curiosity though how if they're not illegal over here, they just very difficult to get. Ah well, my southern toad arrived a few days ago-- she's about the same size, I got my hands full!

Old 09-15-2013, 01:07 AM   #7
WingedSweetheart
I don't know if his toads are captive bred. I assumed they were wild caught. I don't know and haven't really heard any mention of it. However I did find his blog and it is in Japanese (I don't know Japanese). I used Google translate on it and read some post about rearing some eggs. I don't know if they were from breeding his toads or were some eggs that he had found. Google translate was very hard to read and a lot didn't make sense.

Anyway the guy in the Netherlands got his toads from a couple in Germany. His toads are captive bred.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:11 AM   #8
FamousAdventurer77
Took a peek-- seems that either his female toad had babies, or the eggs may have been from another toad. The original bonded pair though...unsure of their origin. Yep, Google Translate definitely doesn't sub knowing Japanese as most of the translations made little sense. It's good for translating some small blurbs like Youtube video titles and descriptions, but doesn't bode well for long posts.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:12 AM   #9
WingedSweetheart
I should mention that I talked to the guy in the Netherlands about the people he got his toads from. He gave me their email address but didn't know if they speak English or not though. Using Google translate on their website I was able to read everything much better. German translates very well into English. So, even if they do not speak English I might be able to use the Google translate. I just never really bothered to contact them. Even if they were able to send me toads it would cost a very high amount of money.

I wish some of the people that regularly import frogs and such would get some in. I know I could make my money back by selling off the extra toads. But I have nowhere to put that many dang toads in the mean-time.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #10
mudbug
I would talk to Samurai Japan and see if they can get them.

Also, are japonicus unusual in the level of intelligence displayed? I'm sure our closer to home southern and american toads make fine pets.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!