Help with egg incubation - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-10-2005, 04:05 PM   #1
neatochickens27
Help with egg incubation

Howdy!..im proud to say my first mating ritual evah was sucessful.I now have two( i beleive fertile) eggs.Between the time i moved them from the nest box to the incubator...they probably cooled down to the high seventies for no longer than 10 minutes.Im not positive that this was the case..but it is a possibility.Will this be a problem in the future?..also..in all my excitment i seemed to have dropped one egg .I cant emphasize how angry i was..but i did nothing out of care for the other egg.However i put both in the incubator anyhow.I dropped the egg from no further than 8 inches from the ground onto thick carpeting.Is there a chance it will hatch or am i screwed?Answers to all these questions would be greatly appreciated.And please dont beat me up...this is my first swing at breeding any sort of animal.thanks guys.

Old 05-10-2005, 04:36 PM   #2
WiteLeo
Congratz!

Lets see if I can help you.

The cooling down for a couple minutes is not a problem at all. My first eggs a couple years ago sat out for 15 minutes becuase I had to show everyone! The two liitle girls hatched out perfectly.

Dropping the egg could cause two problems. One would be that you shifted the growing baby in the egg and it won't grow now. Another thing that could go wrong is that its now on its wrong side. When you move the eggs, they must be in the same direction as in top is still top of the egg. If the baby is now on the bottom of the egg, it might be crushed. You can candle your egg now and find the red/pink circle...this should be on the top. 8 inches isn't that bad, even carpet would make it better chances.

i hope things work out for you. In about a week, tell us how the eggs are looking color-wise.

Old 05-10-2005, 04:38 PM   #3
Gregg M
First I want to say congratulations..... I do not think that the transfer from the nest box to the incubator will be an issue for you..... The drop could cause damage if the embryo was attached to the top of the egg..... If it was still very early in the development it should not be an issue..... Remeber, in the wild they do not lay eggs in the gentlest of conditions..... The eggs are pretty strong and can withstand things you think they cant..... Heck, one of the breeders here (Jodi I believe) dropped a whole tray of eggs and the losses so far have been minimum.....

Dont beat yourself up over it..... It was a mistake and I am sure it will not affect the egg..... If I did not beat you up over this, no one will....LOL

Also, do not be too disappointed if the first clutch does not hatch..... "first time females" sometimes lay slugs in the begining......

Good luck and keep us posted.....

Gregg

Old 05-10-2005, 04:40 PM   #4
Gregg M
Damn my spelling was horrid in that post....LOL

Old 05-10-2005, 05:09 PM   #5
neatochickens27
<3 this forum.I thank you guys a lot.God knows where id be if it werent for you guys.Thanks so much..and ill keep you posted.thanks again!

Old 05-10-2005, 07:50 PM   #6
WiteLeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatochickens27
<3 this forum.I thank you guys a lot.God knows where id be if it werent for you guys.Thanks so much..and ill keep you posted.thanks again!
No problemo dude. Thats what this place is for. In about 17-25 days you should have 2 more to care for.

Old 05-10-2005, 11:13 PM   #7
aliceinwl
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiteLeo
No problemo dude. Thats what this place is for. In about 17-25 days you should have 2 more to care for.
You're not talking about the eggs are you? They'd be more like 35 to 70 days depending on temperature.

-Alice

Old 05-10-2005, 11:17 PM   #8
WiteLeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceinwl
You're not talking about the eggs are you? They'd be more like 35 to 70 days depending on temperature.

-Alice
What I ment was in a couple more weeks he will have 2 more eggs...to care for. That should make this whole thing blow over if neato is upset over these eggs posibly being hurt.

Old 05-15-2005, 08:09 PM   #9
neatochickens27
Howdy!The eggs are the same.Theres no smell or sign of mold or anything that would indicate rotting yet.They also feel leathery yet soft still.In a few days im going to attempt to candle them.Can anyone help me out with that?Id appreciate any information avaible.Thanks a lot everyone.

Old 05-15-2005, 09:15 PM   #10
dragonflyreptiles
Here is a good site for candeling the eggs, hope they are fertile and hatch for you!

http://www.cybergecko.org/leogeckoeggs.htm

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!