check this out. please read.(new three year old) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-03-2007, 05:41 AM   #1
nothing furry
check this out. please read.(new three year old)

today, the local pet shop called me in to pick up an albino corn snake(I named 'MR. BIG') that belonged to a little punkass kid(maybe 15). the mom said that he had to give it up, although the kid did'nt care. the kid was a spoiled little prick, the entire time they were in the store, the kid was on his damn phone......he's 15. ANYWAY, the snake was bought for the little bastard 3 years ago, they bought a 40 gallon breeder, heat light, under tank heater, hide.......blahblahblah.

O.K. remember its 3 years old.
this poor corn was in BAD shed, the tip of his tail looked like hell, with at least 3 sheds stuck on his tail, along with the rest of his body(but after the bath we gave him I think we got it off his tail on time)

the biggest reason they brought the little guy in was that the kid "forgets" to feed him, and the mom wasn't gonna touch it.

I'm trying to NOT bad talk and use foul words to describe the mom and son, out of respect for you all, but these idiots make it very, very hard.

I'm not describing the snake because I want you to see him.

this is what the snake was housed in(40.g breeder)

this is what came off the poor little guy(most of it was on the rag)

and, here he is: 3 years old.....and maybe 2 feet long.

here he is in a 2 gallon tank.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:24 AM   #2
fuscusking13
People are messed up. They get these guys to be cool and such, and the responsibility here falls on the mother. She should have gotten rid of this a long time ago, or never gotten in the first place. I was very responsible as a kid, but I would have probably forgotten or put things off too. When you have a child that is going to be responsible for another life in your home than ultimately it is your responsibility to make sure it is taken care of. This is not to say that the little bastard gets off that easy. If that was my kid he would be black and blue by now because I would have beat his unrecognizable lol. I have no tolerance for people that dont care for an animal, especially one that is soooo easy to take care of. Corns are not difficult at all. My take on things is you should have pounded the little idiot, smashed his phone and then thrown it at his mother lol. People that dont take care of an animal dont deserve life in my opinion, and I hope when they get old they get put in a home and neglected, not fed everyday, and left to sit in their own feces and see how they like it, but thats a crime, but to do it to an animal in our world is ok, since afterall they are only "property". Sorry to go off a bit, but I really hate people, I have done rescue, you never look at the general public the same way again. Good luck with him, just dont feed the heck out of him to quickly, and keep us updated! Dan M.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:32 AM   #3
TripleMoonsExotic
Wow...

Well firstly, I commend you for taking the poor guy in. It's always a shame when you see things like this. But at least he has a chance at a better life in your hands.

Daniel is right about feeding him too quickly. I'm sure if he truly is 3 years old he's seriously malnourished and will need to be gradually introduced to a normal feeding schedule.

Good luck with him!

Old 05-03-2007, 04:19 PM   #4
nothing furry
" you should have pounded the little idiot, smashed his phone and then thrown it at his mother"

believe me I would liked to.
and Check on the feeding thing, thanks
He haddent eaten in a good month. I offered a mouse pinkie and then a fuzzy cause I wasn't sure which would work for him, the pinkie was the size of his head; so that went down like a drink of water,the fuzzy wasn't big enough to show a bulge, so it was light meal.and whats strange is that he doesn't have a feeding responce. while I was feeding him, I would intro. the food, and he wouldn't get exited like my adults. he grabbed the food swallowed it and try to get out with out skipping a beat. Very strange.

I feed ALL my animals every sunday, between 8 pm and 11 pm.....when do you advise I feed him next??

and thanks for the comments

Old 05-03-2007, 04:45 PM   #5
fuscusking13
The most important thing right now is not to feed him too much to fast. I believe corns digest fairly quickly, so I don't see why you couldn't give him a fuzzie on sunday. If I were you I would give him 2-3 appropriate sized items a week to ten days, and try to get him on a semi-regular schedule. Right now it is more important that he keeps the stuff down, not how much he gets down, and if you feed him to a point he is not used to he may regurge, which you don't want him to do. After two or three months of him eating without incident then I would add either go a bit bigger or give him one more, and he should start to put on weight fairly quickly. if you have access to rat pinkies/fuzzies of appropriate size that may put the weight on a bit quicker with having to feed him less quantity. 1 or two of those a week would do great for him I'm sure. Some may disagree with what I have suggested, and I am not a corn or colubrid expert at all, I work with pythons, but I do know that colubrids seem more prone to regurging than a python, so I would avoid shocking his system too much. With him already growing up in what seems to be a very unhealthy environment, I am sure his immune system is not at its best, so he does not need any additional unnecessary stress right now until he is healthy and "normal". Dan M.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
fuscusking13
By the way with my little outburst before, now you see why I work in a private office and do my work over the phone lol. Temper temper . Dan M.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:05 AM   #7
nothing furry
thanks for all the advice, I'll see how he acts on sunday,
to see if he can get fed again, and I DO have access to rats(of any size) so after a few meals "under his belt".....so to say I'll change over to rats.
As for the regurge. thing I really don't think its gonna be an issue.....but Ill
obviously keep an eye on it.

OH, and the outburst...I'm the exact same way, Its all good.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:07 PM   #8
IloveSnakes1234
Thank god there are 12 year olds like me that actually care for their snakes
Why did he get a snake in the first place if he doesn't care about it?

Old 06-03-2007, 11:22 AM   #9
Leighanne
Poor little guy. Thats just sad. I think its even sadder he got away without getting beat up. This is why teens fight in the first place. I'm sure he'd never do it again if somebody made him scream Mother. Wheres Bret Harts Dad when you need him. lol

Old 06-06-2007, 05:53 AM   #10
nothing furry
quote:" Wheres Bret Harts Dad when you need him. lol"

funny.
hes doing great now, I still have him on mice pinkies, but he's taking two at a time now

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!