long term effects of hognose venom - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-03-2016, 10:54 PM   #11
vandrad9
Thanks for that MCMB-2. Yes I've also read on discussion forums that a lot of people have very little effect. They say those are the dry bites, but the dry bites seem to out weigh the wet ones by a lot which leads me to believe that all these non reaction bites can't ask be dry bites. The reaction from the venom if you get it off quick must not be that bad.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:30 AM   #12
CwnAnnwn
Judging by what you posted, it sounds like an immune response to the venom, not a reaction to the venom.

Immune responses to venom are very rare. But they do happen. Takes bee for example. I swell up like a balloon while others just don't react. The immune response to the venom is worst then anything that the venom can do.

Now the thing about allergies.

If you get bit 3000 times by a hognose, you may only swell 3 times. You may only have a allergic reaction two of those times. It may do some serous damage. But that does apply to anything you do in the day. You may become allergic to your cat licking you. Your dog. You may become allergic to bowl of oatmeal you have eaten every morning since your child hood.

The venom itself is of no medical significance, but give it to a body that is willing and able to over react, and you can get a problem.

But if you are going to say that you can get an reaction from a hognose bite therefor they are dangerous. You have to give up pretty much everything. Some people are allergic to their own bodies. No cats, no dogs, no food...the list is endless.

No, hognose are not dangerous by themselves. But can with a willing immune system, do some real damage. But it is the immune system, not the hognose doing the damage.

Here is what you need to know. If you get bit, see what happens. If it starts to un reasonably swell up seek medical attention. With proper medical attention chances of long term damage is zero.

I got my first hognose a month ago. She bit me right away. The hit my pink, chewed on it for a few second, realized that it was not food and spit it out. Cute little teeth marks couple drops of blood. Zero reaction.

If I get bit again, I will see what happens. If it looks like it is going to get a bad reaction, I will seek medical attention.

In my opinion, hog nose are safer to keep then dogs and cats.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:23 PM   #13
rickm
I have been bitten by his several times, from quick grab and release, to letting one chew for a few seconds. I have had them tear up a finger quite a bit and I have NEVER had a reaction, no swelling, and no 'sickness' or long term effects. I believe it is more of an antifilactic type reaction than a 'true venom'. For one, if it is an actual venom, the delivery system is very poor and not effective. I have also kept rear fanged venomous snakes like bioga(mangrove snakes), and lots of front fanged venomous snakes, and I assure you all...hog nose snakes are nowhere near the 'venomous snakes' as any it the 'real' venomous snakes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!