Mississippi Restaurant Caught Preparing Cotton Mouth - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 11-19-2005, 12:43 AM   #1
Clay Davenport
Mississippi Restaurant Caught Preparing Cotton Mouth

I especially like the part at the bottom about the Texas farmers being "professionals in detoxing the snake". Now the roundup idiots are professionals. Their method of "detoxing" being cutting off the head, that's real technical all right, can't trust just anyone to do that.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

(AP) SHELBY, Miss. A restaurant owner is under investigation after he apparently tried to sell the meat of a cottonmouth moccasin to customers, police said.

Eddie Boone, a city worker, said he sold the owner of James Quality Market the venomous snake, which he had killed with a pipe while he was cleaning streets.

The snake "was gonna get me so I had to get him first," he said.

Boone said that while he was showing off the snake nearby Thursday, the owner of the grocery store-restaurant combo "came out and asked me if he could buy the snake for a dollar."

Police Chief Bobby Joe Williams went to the market after Boone mentioned the odd business transaction to police. The owner gave him the snake, which already had been skinned and filleted, Williams said.

"He was getting ready to cook and serve the snake," Williams said. "We want to see just what all this man has been cooking."

Investigators have declined to identify the businessman. The store has remained open.

Lee Ellington, a law enforcement officer for the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks, said it is illegal to buy or sell a non-game species. Penalties could include a maximum $5,000 fine, five days in jail and suspension of hunting and fishing privileges.

Municipal court clerk Cecilia Bland said putting a snake in a commercial freezer also could violate health codes, but she added that police have had trouble getting the health department to investigate.

Ellington said the businessman could have put his customers at risk by selling the meat.

"There are some Texas farmers that do serve rattlesnake, but they are professionals in detoxing the snake," Ellington said. "Odds are that this man is not a professional."

Link

Old 11-26-2005, 12:01 PM   #2
Rattlesnake
The snake "was gonna get me so I had to get him first," he said.

If this idiot had enough time to pick up a steel pipe to beat the snake to death, he had enough time to get out of the snakes way.

Old 12-01-2005, 12:01 PM   #3
Alias47
GOOD OL' MISSISSIPPI, BOY HOWDY...

All the people that take offense to being stereotyped as "rednecks" need to realize that the truth perpetuates the stereotype...

The only thing missing from this story was the unemployed mechanic wearing grease stained overalls and no shirt leaning against the wall saying "Well Gol Durn" (or some other stereotypical yokel speak) when the city worker was telling Police Chief Bobby Joe Williams all about "that durned snake he done got with a chunk of pipe cause it was fixin to get him".

Of course those type of elements are vivid in the mental picture I got while READING the story...and that's only because I am a redneck at heart...
Gotta love that stuff...THAT is AMERICA right there...

Old 01-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
themanmuncy
as long as it is ate i see nothing wrong in killing an animal

Old 01-29-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
curtusforum.org
Ignorance is nation wide my friend.....

Anyhow,
I hate when people feel they must kill a snake simply because they cross paths. ugh.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
JColt
Police Chief Bobby Joe....

I'm surprised they didnt say seller was going to have his mullet trimmed with proceeds from sale.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
rcarichter
Makes you wonder what other animals have wandered into his alley.

All in all, I'm really surprised (and somewhat disappointed) that the snake didn't win.

Noelle

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!