What am I? Exotic turtle bought in Bangkok - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
Tom Harkish
What am I? Exotic turtle bought in Bangkok

Does anyone know what this guy is? I bought him in the local market, and later read that many of these are endangered. In any case, he is growing like a weed, going from about 1 inch on purchase to about 5 inches long now, with an amazingly long neck, at least as long as his body. And with a voracious appetite, we wonder if we are feeding him enough - he is hungry constantly, climbing the walls, and we just keep putting more pellets in his tank - and he gets bigger and bigger. Also, what other than turtle food pellets should we be giving him?

Thanks for any views. Tom
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
Mooing Tricycle
some sort of softshell it looks like

Old 10-14-2008, 11:18 PM   #3
Bill Stonegate
Nice specimen. First thing that comes to mind is Calcium and Vitamin D supplements, along with UVB light, but, hey, call me crazy.

Definitely a Soft Shell. Very cool turtles. Worth the effort.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
dsydney
Looks like a Chinese Softshell

Pelodiscus sinensis. This is the most common turtle species in China.

Food items include fish, shrimp, crab, snails, plants, fruits and vegetables.

They are prone to sores and fungus and need heavily filtered slightly saline water. They do not bask. They need deep sand in warm shallow water to bury in.

Good thing with this animal is that adults stay small, generally 10 inches or less.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:42 PM   #5
Bill Stonegate
These turtles are farmed in large operations in your area, principally for food. I can't identify the exact species, but if it is an Asian Giant softshell, it could grow quite large.

Here's a link to a generic softshell caresheet. UVB light source is a MUST.

http://www.chelonia.org/articles/softshellcare.htm

Old 08-18-2010, 04:22 AM   #6
duniaturtle
looks like pelodiscus sinensis...
but his top shell like a amyda cartilaginea...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
turtle bangkok thailand