Rodent feed question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:16 PM   #1
THEREALMIKEMOORE
Rodent feed question

I just start me breeding project for ASF Rats and Mice. I am using rodent blocks as my feed. The problem that I am having in that i think my mice are eating to much food just because its their. Each tub have 1.4 mice and they are eating a large handful of rodent blocks per day, well I'm about 6 hours. Is this normal for them to eat this much ?

If this is not normal does anyone know a way i can make something this is cheap and reliable for the rodent feed, that wont have my rodents eating all day every day.

I notice on rat racks that he food is on top of some kind of metal wire..can the rodent really eat the food from their ?

Old 09-30-2007, 10:34 PM   #2
hhmoore
I don't have issues with mice doing that - but ASF rats chew the block down just because it is there...and they are chewing, not eating, as the residual coats the bedding

Old 10-01-2007, 12:41 AM   #3
BryonsBoas
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEREALMIKEMOORE
I just start me breeding project for ASF Rats and Mice. I am using rodent blocks as my feed. The problem that I am having in that i think my mice are eating to much food just because its their. Each tub have 1.4 mice and they are eating a large handful of rodent blocks per day, well I'm about 6 hours. Is this normal for them to eat this much ?

If this is not normal does anyone know a way i can make something this is cheap and reliable for the rodent feed, that wont have my rodents eating all day every day.

I notice on rat racks that he food is on top of some kind of metal wire..can the rodent really eat the food from their ?
Try using 1/4 mesh for the mice and ASF. If you use too big of a mesh alot of the food will get wasted. I use the 1/4 hardware cloth and only fill my mouse food bins once a month.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:29 AM   #4
THEREALMIKEMOORE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryonsBoas
Try using 1/4 mesh for the mice and ASF. If you use too big of a mesh alot of the food will get wasted. I use the 1/4 hardware cloth and only fill my mouse food bins once a month.
Ok thanks Byron

Old 10-01-2007, 09:29 PM   #5
Cat_72
I've found that giving the ASF plenty of things to chew on helps to keep down the amount of food they waste.....they really do seem to chew up the feed block even when using the wire mesh. Keeping wood blocks and such in with them tends to reduce their boredom related chewing on the food blocks. I've also been giving them whole ear corn, and they really seem to enjoy chewing on that.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:01 PM   #6
BryonsBoas
To date I haven't had a problem with ASF just chewing to be chewing. They have on taken advantage on my fingers tho.

Of course now that I'm posting this they'll start chewing on everything.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:53 PM   #7
THEREALMIKEMOORE
Well thank you for your advice everyone. Well I went to Home Depot today and picked up some 1/2'' Cloth Wire. And I did a little bending and make a few of this little holders for the food. With a little bending they will hang on the cage securely

Old 10-01-2007, 11:01 PM   #8
hhmoore
THAT is going to be a big pain in the butt, lol.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:06 PM   #9
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
I've also been giving them whole ear corn, and they really seem to enjoy chewing on that.
They like potatoes, too, lol

Old 10-01-2007, 11:20 PM   #10
THEREALMIKEMOORE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
THAT is going to be a big pain in the butt, lol.
Not really its pretty easy to open..if you can see it in the picture their are individual sides to the cage and they come right off..it works great for me thats all it matters..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!