Resuscitating A Reptile : A MUST KNOW! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-13-2009, 07:54 PM   #11
rosebud945
Seamus, I agree with your concerns and criticisms to some degree here, but you are being a bit harsh. As for putting my mouth on a reptile, well, I kiss my lizards on the head daily! I mean look at this face! How can you resist! Sweet William, crippled from MBD but smiling anyway! (How's that for anthropomorphizing?)

BTW, I don't care of they like it or not, and I don't kiss unknown lizards. We have to build a relationship first. Seriously, they get a vet check and a fecal first.

However, I do have a problem with this advice, especially the part about blowing air in a beardie mouth. Did the vet actually tell you to put your mouth over the beardies snout and blow? I doubt it because first, a vet would warn that kissing reptiles can make you sick. If they do advise to do mouth to mouth on a beardie then they would be liable if their client got sick. Second, when you blow into a lizards mouth, you are more likely to fill up its tummy rather than its lungs. Lizards have a very small hole at the back of their throats called a glotus, and if your air is not going down it, then it is simply going into the tummy and some expansion of the torso could be air in the belly.

As for the shaking, I am worried by your word, shake here, but agree that this sounds like it might work if you are really talking about S curling the spine and its not a shake so much, but you really should caution that if you do this with too much pressure, you can seriously injure the animal. Can you post a video that shows us what you mean here? Your description is very vulnerable to misinterpretation, which I agree, can be deadly to the pet of someone who reads this and does it wrong. The word shake really bothers me. Do you mean work the spine?

Finally, if this advice is even partly right, you should stress that ANY water in the lungs warrants a trip to the vet, unless you are a reptile vet, a reptile rehabber who has training to administer medications and spot problems early enough to head them off, or someone who has worked closely with a vet. That might be you, I don't know, but suggesting a wait and see attitude is not the best advice.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:01 PM   #12
HowlinGaleDragons
My dragons get a kiss every day I've yet to in the many years I have owned them to ever catch something.

This thread is not for you people to try to knit pick my vet told me as i stated and I trust her fully and if you keep your reptiles clean and well cared for and love them who cares if you put your mouth over their snout? Or would you rather sit there and watch it die from lack of Oxygen? I will always put my kids (Reptiles) life as a top priority and you know what If I do in some rare instance get sick oh well I saved its life, and as many vets have stated to me and as gross as this will sound it is actually not common to catch things from reptiles that are cared for and clean one vets exact words where "About the only way you can get sick is if you lick its butt"

As I stated before this is a thread for people to learn not for people to harass call me names and shoot things down please keep it off this thread.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:14 PM   #13
rosebud945
Nicole, I did not call you names or shoot you down, but I have asked some legitimate questions. Instead of reacting from emotions, can you try to understand why I ask them and try to answer them? As a long term reptile rehabber, I am open to new techniques for treating lizards, but I do need these questions, that come out of my many years of animal rehab experience to be answered before I can embrace what you are suggesting here.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:18 PM   #14
HowlinGaleDragons
Feel free to Private Message me on it other wise I will no longer be posting here as I am tired of people taking helpful information from people and slamming it around and ruining the whole thread. And I did not say you specifically called me names but Seamus seems to like doing it.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:29 PM   #15
Mooing Tricycle
Id like to see the name of the vet that advised this method of resuscitation.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #16
Miss Tuniwha
Nicole,

Donna asked a very valid question.

She merely asked for more detailed instructions, or better yet a video, to prevent people from accidentally injuring their animals.

I find it irresponsible to offer up this advise, and not back up this information with facts... By responding with "I will no longer be posting here" comes across as though you do not stand behind this information.

If you are gonna post something like this, you need to back it up, or take it down.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:00 PM   #17
Ed Clark
I think its reasonable to try any means you can when faced with a life and death situation, weather or not backed up by any facts.

I would try anything in my power to save an animal thats in crises and could possibly be dying. don't you think trying something unconventional is better than doing nothing because its not backed by facts?

Old 07-13-2009, 09:01 PM   #18
Miss Tuniwha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark View Post
I think its reasonable to try any means you can when faced with a life and death situation, weather or not backed up by any facts.

I would try anything in my power to save an animal thats in crises and could possibly be dying. don't you think trying something unconventional is better than doing nothing because its not backed by facts?
I do think that one would try what they could to save their pets life.. but I do not think that saying "here's how to do it" is applicable.

Had she said "I lucked out and saved my animals by doing this"

things would be different.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #19
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Tuniwha View Post
I do think that one would try what they could to save their pets life.. but I do not think that saying "here's how to do it" is applicable.

Had she said "I lucked out and saved my animals by doing this"
I think she was relating to how she saved her dragon from drowning. I doubt if there was much luck involved.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:12 PM   #20
Miss Tuniwha
then.. "Here is how I saved my dragons from drowning" still would have been better suited.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!