Resuscitating A Reptile : A MUST KNOW! - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-14-2009, 09:19 AM   #31
Tiger Lilly
OK, in retrospect, it sounded like a good idea at the time. But after others have raised valid questions, I have to agree that maybe I was wrong in jumping on the bandwagon so quickly.
This is similar to the time I saved a gerbil by putting it in the dryer--AFTER it had been running for a few minutes, to warm it up after the temps had dipped more than they were supposed to. It worked for me, but may not be 'text book' gerbil life-saving technique.
See, I can admit when I'm wrong...

PS--after being bitten by my dragon, I can tell you that the last thing I will EVER do is put my mouth over his...dragons may be docile by nature, but I have one that is evil, I tell you!

Old 07-14-2009, 01:01 PM   #32
Ed Clark
This is Sophia, without quick action on Nicoles part Sophia would certainly be dead.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #33
Miss Tuniwha
Again, more valid points have been made.

If you see an animal dead with its head under water, what is the likely hood that it actually drowned?

One of the well known things with beardies is to not have a water dish that is too deep. To supply them with one they can easily get in and out of.

So if you go to your dragon cage, and find him with his head under the water, not breathing, drowning should not be the first thing on your mind.

Off hand, I would think that the dragon was either ill, and very week (which would then make sense, being too week to lift up out of the water dish) or the dish was way too deep.

and if this was a "bath time" incident... well, that just raises some issues on a few different levels.

I am glad that you were able to save your dragons with this method.

I am curious as to HOW you had this happen. not once, but TWICE.

I have yet to have a dragon drown. (granted over only 8 years of having/breeding dragons, so I am aware that I am still fairly new)

Only drowning issue I have EVER had, was a new born baby leopard gecko. I had an auto water dish (the reptile kind) but did not realize that the little screen had fallen out. The gecko climbed up and inside of it and died. A lesson learned the hard way for me.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:15 AM   #34
rosebud945
What's that old saying, an ounce of prevention . . .?

Old 07-16-2009, 01:26 AM   #35
JoshR324
good info in here

Old 07-16-2009, 04:47 AM   #36
Helenthereef
I think all this debate is good, but the aggressive tone Seamus originally took was unwarranted, and would have hurt anyone's feelings. The advice may or may not have been the best, but it was meant in the spirit of sharing helpful information, and this is now someone who won't be sharing much again, I bet.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #37
rin0425
I am a Certified veterinary Technician and though the principal behind Nicoles advice is valid, there are a few details that are either wrong or missing. I am currently on vacation, but when i get back to work (I work at the midwest's largest Emergency and Critical care facility) I will be doing some research and post my findings. I work with 2 well known and seasoned exotics vets. Then we can put this to rest. Check back in a week or so!
Aaron

Old 07-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #38
Helenthereef
That would be great, Aaron, an impartial and qualified opinion would be very valuable here.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:16 PM   #39
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by rin0425 View Post
I am a Certified veterinary Technician and though the principal behind Nicoles advice is valid, there are a few details that are either wrong or missing. I am currently on vacation, but when i get back to work (I work at the midwest's largest Emergency and Critical care facility) I will be doing some research and post my findings. I work with 2 well known and seasoned exotics vets. Then we can put this to rest. Check back in a week or so!
Aaron
Thank you Aaron, if you could help fine tune this technique so it will work better that would be great. its very refreshing to see a friendly and positive attitude in this discussion.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:59 AM   #40
rin0425
Its an important thing to know and I have to admit, ive been a CVT for 7 years, and im not very informed myself...when i read this I realized that its something we all should know for sure. Since I have access to it, I figure Ill share it and we can all be clear. Im glad that what Nicole did worked for her. I know shes a good dragon mom and I do agree that in that situation, we do what we can. Im glad her beardie is ok.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!