Question regarding Leatherbacks and Smoothies. - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-27-2009, 04:44 PM   #11
dragonluver83
they are not the same gene... one is from over sees, and 1 is the american line. so 2 different lines, 2 different names, because its too different bloodlines. but they are both smoothback animals.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:14 AM   #12
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by rin0425 View Post
I myself am just starting to figure out all of this leathrback smoothie stuff...but my understanding is they are the same trait, same gene, just 2 different names and lines...to put it simply
Aaron, thats a misunderstanding.thats like saying the albino tremper leopard geckos are the same as bell albino leopard geckos and also rainwater albino leopard geckos just because they are all albino leopard geckos.

Italian Leatherbacks are different than Smoothies.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:15 PM   #13
rin0425
how are they different? If its the same gene, same allele, how is that different?
I know they are different lines, but if they were different traits, then when bred together the two wouldnt be compatible. But when they are bred together, you get the smae as if you bred two smoothies or two leatherbacks.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:17 PM   #14
Miss Tuniwha
Aaron.. 2 lines being compatible does not make them the same.. That is not the best argument strategy.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #15
rin0425
im not arguing, im trying to understand. no one has explained how it works, they have just stated their opinion on it. So if someone actually understands the genetics of it, im going by what my friend the geneticist has told me.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #16
rin0425
This is how it has been explained to me by Randy of Alphadragonz...and id love to know eds explanation other than "they are different cause I say so":
Quote:
Red Italian Leatherback X American Smoothie
When we bought our original Smoothies from Anna at AC Reptiles we could only guess how their genetics worked. Thanks to Anna and Chad we found out last year that this trait is inherited in a Codomiant fashion. Well at the same time half way across the world a man by the name of Alessandro was working with a very similar genetic trait called Leatherbacks. Both of these traits affected the dragons in a similar way. This weekend we found out that both the Smoothie Trait and the Italian Leathrback trait are in fact most likely the same allele located on the same Locus. We accomplished this by Breeding a Red Italian Leatherback to an American Smoothie which resulted in some very healthy and amazing Silkbacks!! More information to come later!!
This is a quote from Alphadragonz.com

What he has explained to me in a lengthy conversation is this,
The gene for reduced scaling (either LB or AS) is located on 1 chromosome, 1 allele, and 1 locus. This is the same in every dragon around the world...for all pogonia vitticeps.
Even though the ILB line is from different stock, the mutation has occurred on the same locus of the same allele as the AS.
This conclusion came about because of the silkbacks. It is the full expression of the reduced scaling mutation. If it were a different trait in both lines, then they would be incompatible.
This would mean that breeding an ILB with an AS would result in something other than a silkback. Because that breeding produces silkbacks, it therefore means that it is the same gene.

If someone has a different genetic explanation, im open to it, but i have taken many genetics courses as well as talked to both Randy and my Uncle who is a research geneticist with one of the top vaccine producers in the world, and this is the info I have.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:27 AM   #17
rin0425
Seriously ed, why would you give me negative karma for asking you to explain yourself? This is about getting information and I really would like to hear your explaination. No need to be spiteful...its not professional.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:56 AM   #18
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder79 View Post
as far as i know the only reason that they are considered as seperate "morphs" is that the leatherback line came from a breeder in italy while the smoothie line came from american breeders. The best person to answer this would be ed clark but im pretty certain that is the answer.
Hmm. Alessandro produced both I thought and coined the names (I think) then exported to the US to Dachiu. I haven't kept up with them but that was what I remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle View Post
Im pretty sure they are all related anyhow... Wasnt there a thread here about these animals on the BOI?

Yes, it centered more around the ethical questions regarding smoothies.
Alessandro posted about his lines around post #201, I think.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=99285

Old 07-29-2009, 01:03 AM   #19
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman View Post
Hmm. Alessandro produced both I thought and coined the names (I think) then exported to the US to Dachiu. I haven't kept up with them but that was what I remember.

Yes, it centered more around the ethical questions regarding smoothies.
Alessandro posted about his lines around post #201, I think.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=99285
I figured eventually someone might take my words for what they were and go hunting Thanks

Old 07-29-2009, 01:13 AM   #20
rin0425
That was my understanding also. Thanks dennis and alicia!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!