Inquiry: Vision rack systems - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 02-27-2006, 01:40 PM   #1
AncientDNA
Inquiry: Vision rack systems

I was wondering if anybody has any experience with, or comments about, the new vision rack systems?
I've been considering getting one(specifically, the 10 tub, 32qt size)
I currently use rack systems from Jason VanKirk. I like them alot, but I'm looking for additional rack systems that are lighter & easier to move around.
Any other suggestions would be welcome too.
If anyone wants to know, I currently house and breed only rosyboas.
Thanks,
-JC

Old 02-27-2006, 02:44 PM   #2
Clay Davenport
I have a vision rack. It's not exactly like the ones they are selling though.
I bought this one as a prototype and they haven't put it into production yet.
It's made the same, but it uses a different tub, 10 36" long tubs from Gracious Living.
The ceiling panels are the same though and it uses the same heat cable.

I personally don't like it a whole lot. It works fine more or less, but there's a few problems I have with it.
First it's too lightweight. It's sturdy and all, but it's so light if a tub hangs just a little you move the whole rack.
I'm not real fond of the ABS panels either. They worked great when I was looking at the rack but after putting some adult female balls in it the added weight caused them to bind. I got this fixed by spreading each level a little. I'm not sure if that's possible with the models they are producing.
All the fins and ridges on the panels catch the boxes some too. The fins are there for routing the heat cable, but they are a problem with catching the tubs. It's not terrible, but like I said, any catch causes the whole rack to move.
I did read on their site that the racks they have available now come with locking wheels. This may solve that problem as mine does not have that feature.

I got a real deal on mine because it was a prototype and they didn't want to haul it back from Daytona, so I'm not overly disappointed. If it hadn't been for the deal I got I would have passed anyway because I rarely ever buy any commercial cages.
However based on my experience I don't think I'd consider buying another one. If I were to buy more racks I'd probably fork out the cash for some Freedom Breeders.
Just keep in mind though that my rack is not exactly like the one you would be buying but it is quite similar.

Old 02-27-2006, 10:38 PM   #3
hhmoore
One comment I had heard about the Vision racks is that people were having an awful time maintaining humidity. Have you found this to be the case with yours, Clay?

Old 02-27-2006, 11:17 PM   #4
KelliH
I have one, I like it because it has wheels, and can be moved around really easily since it is lightweight. That's why I got one, because I had a space in my gecko room that was in front of a closet that I needed to get in and out of. The Vision rack can be moved out of the way, and then moved back in front of the closet when I am finished in there.

I agree with what Clay said about the ridges catching the boxes sometimes. Mine came with one box of Zoo Med heat cable, and it was not enough for the heat that I need to maintain.

Overall, for the price I am satisfied with mine. If I was going to buy more racks (if only I had more room!) I would go with either Animal Plastics or Nature's Spirit. I have both and couldn't be happier. The Nature's Spirit racks are much lighter in weight than the AP racks, however the AP racks are more sturdy. It really depends on what you are wanting.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:31 PM   #5
KelliH
Here is a picture of the Vision rack I have.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:55 PM   #6
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
One comment I had heard about the Vision racks is that people were having an awful time maintaining humidity. Have you found this to be the case with yours, Clay?
I really can't say whether the rack itself is a problem for humidity. I have a hard time keeping the humidity up period during the winter.
I have a humidifier in the room set to 60% and have run it at 65%, which on that model is wide open and it never actually turns off at all. Despite this I still have shedding problems during the winter, especially with the balls.
I would say that it seems I've had more bad sheds in that rack than in the ones I've built, but the abd sheds are not limited to the vision rack.

Old 02-28-2006, 12:04 AM   #7
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH
Mine came with one box of Zoo Med heat cable, and it was not enough for the heat that I need to maintain.
My rack came with two of the heat cables and it was barely enough to heat the rack for the ball pythons.
I did find that I had to set the thermostat probe an inch or two away from the cable or it would barely heat at all. If it was too close the cable would heat up immediately when the t-stat kicked on, and it would reach the setpoint too fast, turning the heater off before it could heat the tubs at all.

I've considered getting an AP rack for the midsize rubbermaids. I've seen their stuff at Daytona and was pleased with the quality.
I hate to buy cages myself, but I do have several projects waiting to be done including some new rodent racks so I don't know if I'll have the time to build everything I need right now myself. If I'm going to put money in commercial caging I'd rather do it for the snakes than the feeders.
I'd love to have a few Freedom Breeder rodent racks, but at $1500-$3k a pop that kind of eliminates any savings on breeding your own.

Old 02-28-2006, 01:58 AM   #8
Dennis Hultman

I have the same racks (Sterilite 15qt.) Kelli posted a picture of. As already stated, the heat cable was not long enough for my needs. Also at the time I purchased my rack they did not have the instructions on putting it together online and did not include any within the package. While it was pretty easy to figure it out, I did put the pushpins in every hole in the side railings and did not have enough for ever guide rail. I then sent an email and they told me to only put two per railing. Boy, those little buggers were a lot harder to pull out with your fingers (no other tools with me at the time) then putting them in. I’m not displeased with the rack, as it is suitable for several species I have but as stated, if I had one rack to choose from I prefer my Snake Shacks by Natures Spirit.

Old 02-28-2006, 02:03 AM   #9
Dennis Hultman
Also, I only had one heat cable included as well.

Old 02-28-2006, 03:47 AM   #10
KelliH
Yeah, mine didn't come with directions either. That would have made it easier. Maybe now they include an instruction sheet, I got my rack shortly after they came out.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!