Avocado Crab Boats - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen

Notices

Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen Whats Cooking: A cooking forum designed for fauna members to share recipes and other culinary delights with each other. Bon Appetit!

Old 07-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #1
JColt
Avocado Crab Boats

Made this last night. Wife just informed me she's stopping to get more ingredients so I can make again tonight. The picture is not mine. Mine didn't look as pretty but close.

5 medium ripe avocados, peeled and halved
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cans (6 ounces each) lump crabmeat, drained
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
2 tablespoons minced chives
1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced
1 tablespoon capers, drained
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Lemon wedges

Directions
Preheat broiler. Place two avocado halves in a large bowl; mash lightly with a fork. Add mayonnaise and lemon juice; mix until well blended. Stir in crab, 3 tablespoons cilantro, chives, serrano pepper, capers and pepper. Spoon into remaining avocado halves.

Transfer to a baking pan. Sprinkle with cheese and paprika. Broil 4-5 in. from heat 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro; serve with lemon wedges.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:30 AM   #2
JColt
Also I peeled and did not bake with skin on.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:47 PM   #3
WebSlave
Hope it wasn't imported crab meat. Of course, with all that other stuff, I doubt you could taste the crab meat anyway.

My method of eating crab meat is to just open up the can (local crab meat ONLY!), grab a fork, and eat it out of the can. Unless Connie makes crab cakes, of course. She does an excellent job of that.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:54 PM   #4
JColt
It was Crown Prince crab meat. It was a good meal and you can taste the crab it's just not in your face type. I enjoyed it but wife really liked it and wanted me to make for dinner again. Man's gotta do what a man's gotta do! For me this is something I'd like 2 or 3 times a year.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:59 PM   #5
WebSlave
Umm, product of Thailand. I guess I've been spoiled by always living near areas where crabmeat can come from local USA crabbers. I've gotten right sensitive to the taste difference. Of course, having grown up in Baltimore and my grandfather used to catch crabs to help feed his grandchildren, I got quite fond of them and to this day get a craving if I go too long without.

Matter of fact, just picked up three dozen live crabs today and steamed them up. I had to eat more than I normally do because we have watermelon taking up a bunch of space in the refrigerator, and Connie told me she didn't have room for too many crabs left over. So eat as many as you can! Twist my arm, why don't you.....

Old 07-13-2018, 09:25 PM   #6
Lucille
That looks fabulous. All except the peeling part, I've tried to peel soft ripe avocados and it's a mess.
I recently a couple months ago joined Costco and they actually have a service which delivers groceries. They sell bags with 5 large avocados and each one is perfect. I think next time I order groceries I'll try this recipe.
Sadly, since I no longer have my garden, I no longer have fresh serranos, next time I go to a store that has them I think I'll buy extra and freeze.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:08 AM   #7
JColt
I agree Rich, If I'm having crab legs I want fresh and local. Just about any crab meat in a can is just like canned tuna. It's not the same as a fillet of fresh tuna. In a recipe I find it ok though.

Lucille, My first batch I had a heck of a time peeling so I searched before doing it last night on peeling ripe avocados. It was quite a bit easier but not exactly real easy. I think the next time I'll peel the day before making so I'm not rushed.

https://loveonetoday.com/how-to/how-...-pit-avocados/

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!